Split lock washers can help to prevent nuts or bolts from loosening by adding a spring tension force along with split edges that are designed to dig into the nut and material being fastened. For additional loosening resistance, use a lock washer on the nut side as well as on the head side. Split lock washers may not be as effective on extremely hard metals as the edges at the split cannot dig in to the surface as well.
- Size: 1/2 in.
- Round washer with a split and helical shape
- When fully fastened, the edges at the split bite into the nut and material surface
- Provides a spring tension force that adds additional friction
- Helps to prevent nuts from loosening in cases where it may be subject to vibration, in some applications a flat washer is used with the split lock washer
- Specification(s) met: ASME B18.21.1 and SAE J403