Also known as Chinese leeks, garlic chives impart oniony flavor with a distinctly garlicky overtone. Young leaves are most tender and work well in egg dishes, soups, marinades and Asian cooking (dumplings, pot stickers, and dipping sauces, for example). White, edible flowers appear in summer, and attract pollinators and other beneficial insects. Full sun for best flowering. The strappy-leafed clumps make an attractive edging in herb or vegetable gardens. Tolerates frost.
- Perennial in zones 3 to 10
- Flat, grass-like leaves with mild, part onion-part garlic flavor
- Use in containers, herb and flower gardens
- Use leaves fresh, dried, or frozen in water or oil
- Performs best in full sun and tolerates frost