100% solid hardwood makes this table sturdy and durable
Butterfly leaf allows you to easily expand from 48 to 60" long
Raw wood sanded smooth and ready for stain, paint, or lacquer
out of 33 reviews
100% recommend this product
Showing 1-10 of 33 reviews
Mar 26, 2020
Nervous about staining parawood
We went unfinished because, well, we're frugal, and because we're picky about the color. I had read about parawood being hard to receive a stain and about it tending to blotch. Here are the steps that worked beautifully for me:
1. Electric sander using 120 sandpaper, then sanding again using 180 for a smooth finish.
2. Applied wood conditioner full strength to all surfaces. I used General Finishes Wood Conditioner.
3. Stained underside of table to check if the color and absorption was good. Plus, parawood should be completely finished, top and bottom, to resist bugs and mildew. I used General Finishes water based Antique Oak finish, and applied with a good quality 2" paintbrush. Once I was convinced things were absorbing evenly, I finished the rest of the table.
4. Applied top coat. Again, General Finishes High Performance water based with a good paintbrush. It is one of the few top coats that doesn't yellow, and I wanted the color to stay true.
5. Sanded lightly with 400 grit paper between a total of 4 finish coats.
We are very pleased with the results. No blotching or spots where finish did not take.
The leaf mechanism works smoothly and and table is sturdy. Very pleased with the purchase. I included a phot without the leaf, and one with the leaf but the table not closed. The top coat was not ready to close up.
Exactly what I was looking for. We needed a sturdy, all-wood table just this size. Love having it "open" to the larger size but glad we have the option to make it smaller if needed. We've had the table for about 1 month now, and it's getting near-daily use as a game table for my three boys. Easy to put together - directions were simple to follow. I can't speak to the wear-and-tear of using this as a dining table. It looks good and seems to be holding up to Risk and Axis & Allies. It's sturdy and solid wood (no veneer), two of our key requirements.
Love this table! It came packaged really well, assembly was...
Love this table! It came packaged really well, assembly was easy, and the table is super sturdy and built to last. The only critique I have, is that if you buy the unfinished benches that match, they do not slide under the table- they are too long. Which is a bummer because they sit outside the table kind of like a picnic table.