I needed a wheelbarrow to move a lot of sand, gravel, and rock for our new home landscaping in the high desert near St. George, Utah. I poured over many reviews, focusing on ONE star comments. It was clear to me that I would NOT be happy with a plastic tray wheelbarrow (cracks/splits on tray and @ bolt mounts), one with a welded/seamed tray (cracks at welds and bolt mounts), or one with a flat-free tire (tire squished down with heavy loads and hard to roll on uneven surfaces).
I found this one on the Home Depot website and it did not have any reviews which did concern me, but it addressed the all the problems people indicated in the ONE star reviews of other units I researched. I also decided I wanted the 5 CF capacity rather than the 6 CF (a little easier to maneuver).
I purchased this unit at it worked GREAT. I moved 11 1/2 tons of gravel, 2 1/2 tons of 2-8" river rock, and may loads of sand. The unit worked exactly as I expected it would do. The heavy lifting work is now done and I am overall VERY SATISIFIED with the Jackson 5 CF Heavy Duty SEAMLESS steel Wheelbarrow. Really glad I found this one...........
Durable, Easy to Install, Strong, Great Quality, stable with ~300 lb loads
no real cons
Overall, a good wheelbarrow. I wanted something well-built but smaller than the standard 6 cubic foot barrow. I have a few gripes about this product, but I would buy it again.
1) This was not an in-store item, so I had to order it with ship to store. Be aware the handles ship separately. When I picked up the barrow at the customer service counter, there was only one box. When I go it home, it was missing the handles. It also looked like it had been opened. I called HD and they said to return it and placed a reorder. Two weeks later when I picked up the reorder, no handles again. Two hours on the phone and they figured out two packages were delivered to the store. Eventually the store found the missing handles.
2) The description says the handles are "hardwood", They look like good quality fir. Maybe Poplar, definitely not Oak. I hope they hold up.
3) The barrow is bolted together with carriage bolts and some of the holes in the wood were too large to grab the bolts. I had to hold some of the bolts with Vise-Grips to tighten them.
4) When you bolt the nose piece on to the handles, the instructions show the nuts contacting the wood directly. I added some washers under those nuts.
5) The bolt holes in the bottom of the tub are round, but the heads of the carriage bolts are square and the bolts did not fit tightly after tightening. I pounded the bolts flush with a hammer, then retightened.
6) I also used locktight on all the threads. Just a suggestion.
Received in about 3 days after ordering on-line. Well packaged without damage. Easy to put together with quality materials clearly above the cheap low-end consumer quality. I was specifically looking for one with a pneumatic tire after reading the reviews about the "no flat" tires. I especially like the extra brackets for structural support, the high grade steel tray, and the great design of the "feet" for the legs which make it notably more stable on uneven ground. A great purchase and would highly recommend to others. I looked at the 6 cu feet models but felt that as I am not a large guy this one made more sense and will be easier to handle.
This is the perfect size for homeowners. I wanted a wheelbarrow that I can carry lot of stuff in it but without being any bigger and therefore its load would be too heavy like the 6 cu ft or larger. Then again the 4 cu ft size is way too small to load anything in it especially when you're doing some serious work in your backyard. This is just the perfect size and manageable weight to maneuver it with ease. Build is solid. In general steel is always stronger than plastic, I'm very happy with it after I put it to some heavy work from finishing a patio pavers to installing a retaining wall. It worked great.
One more thing I want to add, the fact that the tire is air filled it makes it so much easier to carry heavier loads and the ride is so much smoother.
Metal appears to be fairly solid.The included assembly bolts have...
August 13, 2019
Metal appears to be fairly solid.The included assembly bolts have no relation whatsoever to the design of the wheelbarrow - the bolts have a square assembly under the head, yet there are no square cut-outs to receive them properly. How did this flaw get past the design engineers at Jackson?
This unit met all my expectations set by the description/features...
November 07, 2017
This unit met all my expectations set by the description/features listed for it. An inflatable tire was my preference as well as the mid-size tub. The only thing that keeps this from getting an excellent rating is the roughness of the handle finish, had to sand them smooth for comfort.
Tighten all bolts only when the wheel barrow is completely...
October 16, 2018
Tighten all bolts only when the wheel barrow is completely put altogether; that is when you will see the squared carriage bolts in the pan tighten down. Had to clear out the drilled bolt holes in wooden handle. Solidly built, blue color finish looks new even after mixing cement in it.
Wheelbarrow is really solid construction. Putting it together went...
June 02, 2020
Wheelbarrow is really solid construction. Putting it together went well except one of the screws wasn't threaded cleanly so the nut was very difficult to thread (even when doing it without tools to start, so it I didn't strip it in the process). That's the reason for 4 instead of 5 stars. However, with the right tools and some effort, it got tightened and now the wheelbarrow is working great. Right size for me, rugged construction, and I appreciate the added stability from the extended feet.