Rated 4.1 out of 5 by 647
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Baileyboo Sweet!
Just got the mower... Like everyone else, I paid too much and just supporting the high price!, but it is a great mower. It starts easy, and the personal pace is great. I have a large yard, with multiple levels and small hills and it takes care of it no problem. It definitely saves a lot of time. For me this mower is perfect as a ride-on mower could be a little sketchy near some of the rock embankments on my property.
It is easier to control and maneuver than I thought it would be once it is going. Overall I am very happy with it, and so is Mr. Visa!
May 21, 2012
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by EdmontonRoadie So far it's great.
I replaced a 15 yr old Honda Commercial 21in mower with this.
The new Timemaster is FANTASTIC. I got the electric start version.
My lot is 10,000 sq ft and I have a large amount of yard since the house is a 1,600 sq ft bungalow. I do not mow as often as I should - mainly because with the bag-only old mower it's a 1-1.5 hr job.
I just did my first mow (so I may update this review later.)
What I like so far:
- It's really quiet.
- The dual blade sounds like a jet - but not loud, very cool.
- The 30" deck saved me 50% of my time (mulching.) Bagging would be maybe 40%. That means I will mow more often and put less stress on the grass.
- Even though it's a 180lb beast it is super easy to manuver and feels much lighter than my old 120lb Honda. I had zero problems getting around bushes, trees, bunps, off camber slopes, etc.
- The Personal Pace is really nice. It just works.
- The deck height adjusts in 1/2" increments and only having to make the adjustment twice vs. 4 times on the old mower is nice.
- I can cut much taller than the old Honda - up to 4". So when it is hot and dry you can really reduce the stress on the lawn. Plus if you leave it too long between mows you have a lot of height to play with.
- The cut is very good, but then it should be with new blades. Totally flat and no missed grass between the blades.
- Would be nice if the mulch clippings were smaller. They are much smaller than my old clippings but I expected them to be finer.
- Uses a lot of gas - but that's nitpicking plus it's new and may get better.
- The engine is huge but it soulds like it is working hard in some extra-thick sections. My grass is very thick this year due to so much rain. I wonder how it will cope with longer or wet grass.
August 17, 2012
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by RegularGuy Don't Trust the Negative Reviews
I considered purchasing this mower for over a year. There aren't many other contenders in the residential 30" range. I was skeptical of this mower based on some of the reviews I read. The main criticisms were: 1. Underpowered, 2. Can't pull itself up inclines, 3. Engine stalls when engaging the blades and when mowing. I will address each of these "issues" in this review.
1. Underpowered - not true. Remember this mower has a 30" deck and weighs about 130 pounds, only about 25 pounds more than other high-end 21" mowers. It might not be as quick/jumpy as some other mowers with similar engines. But thus far I have not had any issues with self propulsion or cutting. Power will also be touched on in the next 2 points.
2. Can't pull itself up inclines - definitely not true. These complaints must have been written by people who never read the operator's manual... take a look at page 5... The Traction Adjustment knob should take care of any problems you experience with the self propulsion system. My mower was set-up by the dealer I purchased it from. When I got it home, the mower did pull itself up my 4-degree sloped driveway, but it seemed like it was straining - unacceptable for me, considering I have two 13-degree hills on my property. I adjusted the traction knob (per the operator's manual), and VOILA, it climbed up my driveway with no problem. For what its worth, it also pulled itself up a 13-degree hill with a full bag of clippings (about 30-35 pounds). Remember this is a lawnmower, not a "magic machine," you need to tell it what to do, it doesn't know by itself. Read the manual and make the adjustments that work best for you - don't expect the mower to work perfect for your situation right out of the box.
3. Engine stalls when engaging the blades and when mowing - not true. I must admit, after I reset the traction adjustment knob, the mower did stall when I first engaged the blades - Ok, from then on I eased my pulling of the blade engagement bar (slowed it down) - problem solved. No more stalls. In my experience, this mower has not stalled during cutting, but I only remove about 1.5 inches at a time, and I bag all of it. I don't know if mulching is more susceptible to stalling. What I can say is that, like ANY OTHER MOWER, if you overburden this mower it will probably stall. Again, this is not a magic machine that will solve all of your lawncare problems. It is a tool to assist you. Make the right decisions about how/when to mow your lawn and you should be fine. Don't expect this mower to do everything that other comparable residential mowers can't - that isn't fair
To finish-up here, I think this is a good mower that met/exceeded all my expectations. It does save time, as marketed. It also makes very nice, wide, professional-looking strips. Don't expect the mower to save your life. Buying this mower is not an excuse to mow less frequently. Read the manual. Don't go into it with unrealistic expectations and you'll most-likely be happy with your purchase.
May 11, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by LUVMOWING Best Mower I ever bought!
I purchased this mower online Friday the 8th, picked up at the store Saturday the 9th and mowed my yard Saturday afternoon. Unpacking the mower was simple enough and the minimal assembly was easy to do. I read numerous feedback prior to this purchase and found them to be helpful. I never mow wet grass; I always mow in the afternoon around 5:00pm. Mower was a dream to use. I bagged the front yard, as is my custom, and mulched the back yard, as is my custom. Both functions were performed without a hitch. In fact, I never mow front and back, approximately .8 acres in total, in same day. I typically mow front Saturday afternoon and back Sunday afternoon. I finished the front in such short a time I decided to go ahead and mow back. This mower is superb in every way and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes to mow, as I do, and is in good health. I also own a John Deer D130 that was purchased from HomeDepot several years ago. Still the best riding mower in its class and I mow our meadow with it.
August 10, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by ymerejtrebor Wow!
I hated mowing the lawn before, now after buying this machine, I look forward to the next opportunity. We have had so much rain down here in TX this year. Before I had a 20 inch cheapest thing you could by from Home Depot and I struggled for hours and my daughter never offered to help..now I am knocking out both front and backyards in a mere hour, and my daughter and I are fighting over who gets to mow the lawn and use this wonderful too...just amazing. I would have given this a 5, but I changed the oil after the first 5 hours as recommended in the manual and had to flip the thing over (no oil drain plug)..and I am not looking forward to changing the blades and belts and all, but hey, this is a small price to pay for my time. If you want to save time and you want to actually like mowing the lawn, this machine is for you.
June 14, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by GypsyD52 Really is a time saver!
This machine really is a time saver, is easy to handle and runs great. My only complaint was that it seemed the blades we not fully sharpened after mowing a couple times. Once I got them sharpened the lawn looked great. I found a 30" riding mower for the same price but it wouldn't fit in my truck. All and all I feel it was a good purchase, I will just have to find a Toro Service Center to keep it running at its best.
May 24, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Johnny Great Mower!! Thought I would regret this purchase, but not at all!
I looked at this mower for quite sometime (almost a year) before actually purchasing it and do not regret it at all. In fact, I now love this mower and all the features! I replaced a 21 inch troy bilt with honda 190cc engine which had the same size engine as the Toro Timemaster, except that the time master has a couple of horses more. This is the main reason why I wasn't too sure of this particular mower. But I must say, it does a great job.
I've had the Toro Timemaster for about 3 weeks now and have mowed my 1/2 acre yard 3 times. It does a great job with half the time it used to take me. I must say that it doesn't stripe as well as my 21" mower did, but it is much easier to operate. I mulch my lawn and have not used the bagger or side discharge option. It has bogged down a couple of times as my lawn grows much faster on one side than it does on another, but I just slow down my pace and it is of no issue. You cannot let your grass grow too much and expect to mulch all without bogging this machine down. It is recommended that lawns be cut 1/3 everytime you mow and with this machine, you must follow that recommendation and you will not have the bogging down issue. Some may say that this machine is underpowered, which could be true depending on how much grass you want to mow at a time.
I contemplated purchasing a larger mower such as the cub cadet 33' zero turn push mower with 420cc engine or the similarly 33" troy bilt zero turn push mower with the 420cc engine. After reading how heavy they are, options that cost extra (bagging & mulching) and the dangers of mowing hills (which I have), I decided that this 30" time master was the best option. I had a 42" and 38" lawn tractors, but they frankly were taking much longer to mow due to the many obstacles on my property (pool, trees, fence, hills, etc).
In conclusion, this mower is a great mower and I am very happy with it. One thing I don't want to forget to mention is that, this mower is a bit thirsty for some petro. I have to refuel it before I finish mowing my 1/2 acre property as it runs out of gas. Perhaps my solution here would be to walk faster? :-)
May 25, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Jeff This is a really great mower!
After using the same 21" Toro for over 11 years, I upgraded to this 30" mower. It has cut down my mowing time by 50%! It's wider and it handles rough terrain better than my old mower which enables me to move a bit quicker. The Personal Pace is great and it is definitely capable of moving faster than I care to walk when mowing. I love the electric start. The cleaning feature is really great too. I have only mulched so I can't speak to the capacity of the bag, but I trust it is fine. The handle can very easily be moved in an upright position for storage. It is pretty big but still quite manageable. I am so happy I chose this mower and look forward to many opportunities to mow my yard this summer and for many summers to come!
June 25, 2012