Create a simple vertical garden using fence pickets and clay pots
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS PROJECT
- 2- x 4-inch x 8-foot cedar board
- Three 8-inch clay pots
- 5/8- x 5 1/2-inch x 6-foot cedar fence picket
- 12-pack #12 1 1/4-inch and #10 3/4-inch drywall screw kit
- 8-pack #8 1 1/2-inch wood screws
- 1-inch 19-gauge brad nail
- Three 7-inch stainless steel clamp
- Two 10- x 8-inch black medium-duty shelf bracket
Paint or stain
• Measure, mark, and use a circular saw to make the cuts according to the cut diagram below.
• Use sanding block to smooth any rough edges.
• Three 17 1/4-inch cross board pieces cut from the square end of each of the three cedar fence pickets
• Two 10 1/2-inch footings from the cedar board
• One 50-inch back brace from the cedar board
If desired, paint or stain all wood prior to assembly.
• Lay the three fence pickets flat with 1/4 inch between them.
• Measure 8 3/4 inches down from the dog-ear tops of the pickets and attach a cross board horizontally across the fence pickets with a brad nailer.
• Attach the remaining two cross boards horizontally with 8 3/4 inches between each.
• Place a shelf bracket with the 10-inch side down centered on the 2-inch side of the footing board and flush with the end.
• Secure bracket to the footing board using a drill and the 1 1/4-inch screws.
• Repeat with the other bracket and footing board.
• Place the feet flush to the floor and flush to the left and right sides of the square end of the pickets. Secure the 8-inch side of the brackets to the pickets using a drill and the 3/4-inch screws.
• Stand the assembly up onto the feet and center the 2-inch side of the back brace board vertically on the back side of the center picket.
• Secure with brad nailer and 1-inch nails through the front of the picket and into the back brace board.
• Using a 1/8-inch drill bit, pre-drill holes in the center of all three clamps about 2 1/2 inches from the adjustment screw (see diagram below).
• Place a clamp centered above the top cross board and secure it to the back with 1 1/2-inch wood screws.
• The screw will go through the picket and the back brace board.
• Repeat attaching the remaining two clamps centered above the remaining cross boards, and then place the 8-inch clay pots inside of rings.