Trust The Home Depot's professionals to install or repair your water heater unit.
If you call before noon, we'll install or repair your unit the same day in most areas.
Includes everything needed to replace your existing water heater with the same size and fuel source tank. Additional charges may apply. Building permit and code upgrades are not included in the basic price. Learn More
We Do Water Heaters Right
Providing you peace of mind by pulling the local building permit and installing the unit up to local code requirements. Required by law in most municipalities.
Licensed and Insured
Our handpicked service providers undergo a thorough background-screening process and are fully insured.
MyInstall allows you to track your job from start to finish. We’ll arrive in a timely manner and be on the job from start to finish.
We offer financing options along with one competitive project price.
What is MyInstall?
This service provides start-to-finish information on your installation project. Find brief descriptions of what to expect from your installation services team and learn more about phases such as these:
If you have already signed up for an installation project, we'll walk you through each step of your project with the following information:
• Description of each phase
• How you may prepare
• What to expect
Finding the right water heater involves fuel sources, capacity, dimensions and efficiency. Watch our video on How to Choose a Water Heater to find out about:
• Water heater basics
• How to select the best water heater for your needs
• The Home Depot installation program
Also, browse our Water Heater Buying Guide for more information on the main factors you should consider when selecting a water heater: fuel, water storage and function.
Or consider a space-saving, energy-efficient tankless water heater which provides continuous hot water.
From our FREE no-obligation consultation through final review, The Home Depot is there throughout the process.
• We'll deliver your new water heater to your home (within 30 miles of a Home Depot store location) at no additional charge.
• We'll inspect your existing unit and discuss any work required to bring your replacement water heater up to local plumbing codes in order to ensure your safety.
• We'll connect your new water heater to the existing gas, electric and water lines, then fill and test the new water heater to make sure it works properly.
• We'll haul away your old unit at no additional cost and recycle it.
• We'll conduct a final cleanup of the job site and walk through the installation and product to answer any question you may have.
Water Heater Repair: What You Can Expect When Our Service Professionals Visit
After scheduling an appointment that includes an in-home consultation fee (trip charge), our professional installer will diagnose your water heater. The installer will review the findings and recommend any needed repairs, along with a final price. At that point, you'll have the choice to do one of the following:
• Accept or decline the repair -- a diagnostic fee will still be charged for the trip.
• Upgrade to a replacement -- the diagnostic fee then would be applied toward the full replacement install.
If you agree to proceed with the repair or an upgrade, you can help the process in the following ways:
• Be available at the installation site during the scheduled appointment time
• Remove any obstructions so that the installers can easily access the existing equipment
• Provide the installer access to other parts of the home (attic, basement, utility closet, meters, etc.) as a function of their site inspection
• Be aware you may be without water during the time of the repair, but this should not take more than 1-2 hours
LEARN MORE ABOUT FINANCING OFFERS AND OTHER WAYS TO SAVE
HOW WE BUILD OUT PRICE
Our water heater installation pricing consists of four components:
Let The Home Depot Consumer Credit Card help get your project underway. It includes no annual fee, everyday special financing and exclusive Home Depot offers.
Installation services are backed by a 2-year parts and labor warranty, along with the manufacturer limited parts warranty.
The Home Depot also offers a Protection Plan, which covers labor costs after the manufacturer's labor warranty expires through the end of the manufacturer's parts warranty.
Water Heater Installation Ratings & Reviews
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What factors should I consider when choosing a new water heater?
A: Consider fuel source (gas or electric), storage capacity (30 gallon to 80 gallon available), tank type (tank or tankless), and warranty (The Home Depot offers 6-year, 9-year and 12-year warranties.)
Q: Do I have an option of what type of unit I purchase?
A: You have many options. We carry a variety of GE-branded traditional tank water heaters in capacities that range from 30 gallons to 80 gallons in a variety of fuel sources (gas, electric, liquid propane). We also offer a wide selection of Rheem gas and electric tankless water heaters. Our authorized service provider can review all available options with you and help you select the best system to fit your budget and need.
Q: What's included in a basic installation?
A: A basic installation consists of the following tasks:
• Delivery of new water heater to your home. Delivery charges could apply for units that are further than 30 miles from a Home Depot
• Disconnection of existing unit
• Installation of new water heater of the same size, installed in the same unobstructed area and reconnection of existing gas, electric,
water and venting lines.
• Up to 5 feet of discharge tube, gas and/or water pipe as needed to complete install
• Conversion of water or gas lines from flex to solid pipe up to 5 feet if needed to complete install
• Provision of nipples, couplings and copper tubing for direct reconnect
• Testing of new water heater to insure proper operation
• Final clean up of job site and walk-through with customer
• Haul away of existing unit for disposal (excluding stone-lined water heaters)
If you have any additional questions about your water heater installation, please call 1-855-650-2786.
Water Heater Problems? Rely on The Home Depot For Water Heater Replacement or Repair
If you need to replace or repair your water heater, The Home Depot can offer same-day service (in most areas) if you contact us before noon. And you can depend on The Home Depot, as we handpick installers and home service professionals who meet the highest standards for experience, know-how and customer service to get your water heater installation or water heater repair done right the first time. We screen and background check all of our service providers before we hire them to ensure we're sending the safest, most experienced providers to your home and that they have all applicable licenses and insurance.
During our FREE consultation, we'll assess which water heater system best fits your family's needs. Then, we become your one-stop shop, taking care of delivery, installation, permits and FREE disposal of your existing hot water heater whether you choose a conventional storage tank or a tankless water heater. We safely install gas water heaters, electric water heaters and tankless water heaters, ensuring all are up to code.
The Home Depot also has credit and/or project loan financing options and extended protection plans in addition to your tank's manufacturer's warranty. When you hire The Home Depot for your water heater installation, you know we'll get the job done right and stand behind our work.
View Contractor License Numbers View Terms and Conditions