Rated 3.3 out of 5Â by 49
Rated 5 out of 5Â by justanotherjoeDIYer Wow, what a time saver. Ignore the bad reviews and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and my hints.
After reading the negative review on this product I took the plunge anyway based on my gut instinct. The material was difficult to cut with even with an industrial quality scissors (I recommend a 3-4' metal ruler on end and utility knife as it's very sticky.) Once cut, it was easy. I believe those that had problems may have not properly prepared the surface where the tile was placed. Kitchen walls are notorious for collecting grease. A thoroughly cleaned wall painted with eggshell finish paint allowed the product to adhere very well. One note, do not rip the masking off the other surface of the material until you are ready to actually place the tile. I believe the adhesive sets when exposed to air, so once again, those with issues probably ripped the masking off and allowed the adhesive to dry out prematurely. I did a small 2x2 foot area at a time. Results we're stunning, saved the 24-48 hour wait before grouting. Love the result.
October 23, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5Â by BSLR Seemed like a great idea, but did not quite come through
The Simple Mat was certainly tempting. I did a kitchen backsplash (~25 square feet) and loved the idea of skipping the mortar and being able to grout on the same day. Just stick it on the wall, peel off the backing and stick your tiles. I bought the roll, which proved a bit difficult to cut to size. I found a razor knife worked much better than scissors, which kept sticking to the mesh. Would purchase the sheets if I used it again. The backing is very sticky and stuck well to the wall--no problems there. I used a 12 x 12 mesh square of 2 x 3 subway tiles. I was careful to make sure my tiles were clean and dry before placing them and I used a float to press them firmly against the Simple Mat. I removed the backing as I went to help avoid any dust getting on the Mat before the tiles were one. Anywhere I used a full mat of tiles they stayed up OK, for the most part (some sagging tiles here and there). But where I had to place individual tiles about 1 in 7-8 did not stay up, particularly the smaller pieces at the edges. Same problem with the decorative bead pieces. I ended up using construction adhesive to hold those to the mat. After grouting, everything seems to be OK, but I am concerned about the longevity. Had it not been midnight, I probably would have pulled it all down and redone the job with mortar instead. I would have much greater piece of mind about the backsplash staying up long term, and honestly, I don't think it would have added much time overall.
August 6, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5Â by Jamie Simple, easy and not messy at all!
The Simplemat roll "Simplified" our project. The ease of tiling was made that much more doable. We thought to ourselves, why did we wait so long? The no mess, easy stick on was a deal breaker- I can't wait for my next project!
May 20, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5Â by AverageDude Great product! real time saver
The simple mat is just that SIMPLE. Using this product creates several advantages over the traditional thin set installation.
1) By using the simple mat, you can install the simple mat on the wall minutes/hours/days before you actually install the tile. Whatever your schedule permits. You peel the backing off the simple mat and stick the mat to the wall. Then, when you are ready to install the tile, you pull the protective cover off the front of the mat and you are ready to stick the tile. You can do it section by section or the whole job at once, whatever makes you feel comfortable
2)It greatly decreases the mess when installing the tile. There is no need for thin set, so no thin set mud landing on your countertop as you are installing the backsplash.
3) If you install a tile and it looks a little "crooked", you can reposition the tile so it is straight.
4) The other obvious advantage to the simple mat is the time savings. Just peel and stick!
5) Finally, simple mat lasts. I have jobs that I did years ago that still look like new.
July 10, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5Â by rushin2 Have you ever cut fly sticky paper?
We had to purchase a roll of this product or our kitchen project in addition to Simplemat sheets. We ended-up using only half of this roll and the reasons are these:
1. Have you ever tried to cut fly sticky paper? Well this is one GIANT fly sticky paper as adhesive (that adheres to base surface) is completely exposed once you unroll the product. Please do NOT use scissors. You will be crying. A very sharp knife, perhaps, would do the trick. The plastic that covers the tile-side glue is non-existent.
2. The glue drops that are intended to adhere to tiles are limited compared to the "sheet" product - not as many, thus your tiles will have limited exposure to stick on.
3. Do contractors REALLY use this product? One would think that contractors would utilize REAL adhesives such as thinset or other various products for REAL longevity of their projects. Our opinion - this product should not be called "Contractor Roll," but something else - "Tile Setting Jumbo Mat" for example. Otherwise it sounds deceptive - we simply do not see how contractors can use this product for PROFESSIONAL installations.
4. We ended-up removing tiles adhered to this product with The Product because it was coming off the wall in section. Waterproof Liquid Nails was our life saver at that point. How sad.
Good product, otherwise, for counters, back-splashes for HOMEOWNER DO IT YOURSELF installations ONLY. Just our .02...
September 5, 2013