Rated 2.7 out of 5 by 44
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Kaity Great Product! Don't trust the bad reviews!
I bought this product with great apprehension due to the poor reviews it received. I really wanted a HUGE whiteboard on my wall but did not want to pay $250. So I had an expectation that this paint would not work. Well, I went to Home Depot and bought 2 kits so I had enough for my 90 sq. ft wall. This is how I SUCCESSFULLY created my 90 sq. ft white board for only $20.
1. I prepped wall first by sanding down the bumps in the paint. Then I applied plaster to the dents and holes. I sanded those down and washed away dust with a semi-wet sponge. Finally I painted a single coat of latex primer and sanded the wall down for the final time. After using the sponge to pick up left over dust again, I was ready to paint.
2. I shook both cans and mixed them together for about a minute, as instructed on the box. It was quite watery but I had the smooth dense foam roller so I was fine.
3. I began painting quickly because I only had one hour (I found that the time restraint is off. I used the paint after well over an hour and was fine). So I finished the first coat and had enough for a second coat with that single can of paint. Now remember: my wall was more that 90 sq. ft so i was very surprised. I finished that coat and had paint remaining after that!! It was not enough for a 3rd coat but I had enough to paint my bedroom door!
4. So I got 2 coats on my bedroom wall and 1 thick coat on my door.
5. I didn't even wait the 3 days until I tested it out! I made a line on my door with a red dry erase marker and it wiped off perfectly! I didn't even prep my door! Then I tried my wall and it erased right off. So happy!!!!
6. I haven't tried keeping my lines on the board for too long so I cannot say if that will come right off. I have noticed that there is a tint of red around that area after I erase but a little scrub with my finger takes that off!
I am not only pleased that it works well, but also that I got a 90 sq. ft wall AND a door out of a SINGLE can of dry-erase paint. Thank you Rust Oleum!
May 4, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by KArgy Worked well in Office Application. Kid's Rooms are next!
Need to mix in thirds and apply thinly with 3 coats, an hour apart to keep from running. i.e. Do this vs. the instructions. Other than that it works great!
January 14, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by PoorCollegeStudent Fully satisfied
I'm a pretty cheap and broke college student so I was hesitant in paying $20 but it was all worth it. Every time someone comes over people love to draw on it. I used 3 coats but there was enough paint to paint a large section of my bedroom wall, some in my sister's room and there was 1/3 of the paint left over(which sadly went to waste because you have to use all of it in less than an hour and I was way too tired to paint anymore). I was super skeptical at first because it seemed so light at first but it definitely looked a lot better after the 3 days. The only problem I could see someone having is if your wall is textured. Mine's is very slightly but not enough to affect it but I could see it being hard to draw on a bumpy wall. Now when I need to remember something it's the first thing I look at when I wake up to because it's right in front of my bed.
June 29, 2014
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Marty904 Pro Painter & 3 Coats Later - Fail
I am a former professional painter and applied this product exactly, to the "T", per the directions/recommendations and after 3 coats and letting it cure for over 48 hours, I went to write on it and it became immediately permanent. I even tried using the whiteboard cleaner solution within 10 seconds of writing on it and it would not come off whatsoever.
So no, I either go buy another round and put 3 more coats on it and hope that works or I just accept that this product doesn't work and repaint my wall and go buy a whiteboard.
March 19, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by student excellent deal
Honestly, for 20 dollars this product is wonderful. As a college student (engineering, so it GETS its use!), this product is one of the best investments I've ever made. However, if I was to do it over, I would have: A) sanded the wall, gradually increasing to a much finer grit to achieve a desirably smoother finish. B) used a more expensive (micro fiber) roller. C) stirred rather than shook the cans as it seems to have created bubbles in the final product. Overall though, I am very pleased with how this turned out. Additionally, I split the product into 4 parts, allowing the final two (total of 4 coats for a 3.5X4ft Area) coats to completely dry in between one another. I found that if I allowed it to dry as instructed, 30 mins or to touch, it was so tacky it stuck to the roller during the layering process (again this could've been the cheap, CHEAP roller's fault).One last note, apply VERY thin coats.
March 22, 2015
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by teebee You get what you pay for
I bought this product because it was much less expensive than other dry erase paint. What a mistake! I followed the directions to a T and the product simply doesn't perform. Even with nicely prepped walls, I had to paint on five coats just to make it look acceptable. I have used every type of dry erase marker and not one of them completely erases off of the paint when using an eraser. It was only when I used a dry erase cleaner that my wall looked clear and I really had to rub to get it off completly. I want to use an eraser, not a spray cleaner and paper towel every time I write on this product. Don't waste your money even though its "cheap"...you get what you pay for.
February 13, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by michie A great way to have a large, inexpensive white board
I used this in an office to create a white board wall. I really love it. Like other reviewers, I found it hard to clean with only two coats - had to use white board spray cleaner each time. However, I decided to add two more coats this year because I had used it for five years and it was discolored, and found that four coats was the magic number for being able to erase with just a dry eraser. When I clean with the liquid sprayer, it is just as white as the day I painted. Planning to buy more and use it in another room today.
October 22, 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by DivemasterP Very difficult to apply and the instructions leave much to be desired
This produce is a great concept. But, the paint is extremely thin and difficult to apply. If we had it to do over again, we would probably apply very, very light/thin layers and do it perhaps three or four times. Instead, we applied it exactly as the directions indicated. The result was runs that would develop as much as two to three hours after we painted. It is still very thin, and does not erase well.
My daughter has fun with it. But, I imagine we will be sanding, priming, and trying again with another product.
December 10, 2014