Rated 4.6 out of 5Â by 25
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0Â by Mike For a Multi-use Vise.... this is one heavy duty model
I wanted to replace my fixed 5" jaw vise with a multi-use rotating vise. My research led me to see that most all of this style vise are relatively weak with the clamping force you can apply. Then I came across this Yost 750-DI model. It features several things the others do not;
1. Made of ductile iron for strength,
2. Quite large, 11" tall and 19" long, massive weight @ 60+lbs. The handle is 1/2" diameter and 9.5" long (would have been nice to be thicker and longer but definitely adequate)
3. Deeper throat depth 3.75" it opens a full 5" and of course 5" jaw length
4. The base has full 360 degree rotation when loosened and has unexposed serrated notches so when you lock the base lockdowns the vise doesn't rotate when you apply your working forces. This feature seems a bit crude on my vise but it truly does what it is intended too. I hated my old vise as when I got strong with it the vise base lockdowns would slip and it would rotate forcing me to stop and reposition it.
5. The pipe jaws are all of floating design so you will fully center a pipe when you clamp it.
6. The horizontal rotation allowing the vise head with your workpiece to be positioned for easy access is smooth and has a locking pin on the back that gives you 12 fixed locations (every 30 degrees) while the vise is in an untightened position. You can use any intermediate position between these indexes and the vise position will lock there when you tighten the jaws.
I was concerned about some reviews of large heavy vises being shipped with minimal packaging. For this concern of damage I chose to have it sent to HomeDepot using "free shipping to store" so I could review it before I accepted it. I did not want to deal with sending a damaged 60lb vise back or dealing with shipping companies. The shipping packaging was very adequate, as it came in some serious cardboard, double boxed, it even had a thin piece of wood in the bottom for added support. No damage to the handle or any part of my vise.
I installed it to my workbench with (4) 5/8" grade 5 bolts, thick fender washers, lock washers & nuts. You could use 1/2" hardware but the 5/8" fit snug on my unit with no modification. The video below say use 7/16" but use the largest you can for added strength... as it looks like you can get pretty physical with this vise!
Watch the video below to get an idea of how this vise works.
December 28, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0Â by Oldcars4fun Great Vice, very well made
This vice is very well made. Tight jaws and the ability to change the head to different angles makes it very versatile. Quiet a substantial upgrade from my old vice.
December 10, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0Â by frank Solid built, base could use work
Well made vise. No damage when I got it. Only issue is the base movement isn't smooth even after taking apart and cleaning it up, its ok for me as I dont move it much but if I did I would look at other models.
January 13, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0Â by DVPinHB This vise is great for holding both flat stock or pipe in variouis positons.
I bought this vise to replace the one I broke and needed something a little more substantial. This vise fulfills that need very well even thought it is a bit higher than what I'm used to. The vise opens and closes smoothly and rotates easily and smoothly.
Home Depot did a great job with fast delivery. Packaging was adequate and protected the product well even though the product was heavy.
I'm very satisfied and look forward to many years of use.
June 5, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0Â by Nora Fantastic vise
I am a metalsmith and this vise holds forming stakes very securely. The flat anvil head needed smoothing as it was only a rough finish, but it cleaned up well. The rotating head has multiple stops so you can angle it just the way you need it. I am simply delighted with how well it works.
April 1, 2014