Rated 2.7 out of 5 by 72
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Jeannie Would definitely purchase again
I almost did not buy this because of the reviews but after some extra research I wanted to try. Per the research I did, I soaked my cans in hot water about 10-20 minutes prior to starting. Shake the can at least 2 minutes making sure the ball rattled and the first couple sprays went on the drop cloth because it starts out runny. I sprayed on medium setting, sprayed in a circular motion like the video as well as short bursts and the product worked great. Let it dry at least 20 minutes before using the knockdown tool. I used 4 cans for my 4x8 bathroom and it turned out great. This was also the first time I have ever attempted a project like this and certainly would recommend it to anyone.
April 22, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Superdave4444 Amazing product for drywall repair jobs
The instructions on the can tell you everything you need to know. Of course, there are certain variables Homax cannot account for, like how the customer will move the can as they fling the guide the texture onto the wall, ambient temperature, humidity, etc.
I read the instructions, then practiced on a scrap piece of plywood in the backyard to learn the spray pattern and tune the nozzle to match my wall. Even after doing this, my first attempt was a bit heavy and I had to sand down and restart. Although it's not suggested in the instructions, I painted the wall a contrasting color after my second attempt at applying the Homax texture, to determine which areas were low, then reapplied/knocked down those areas to bring them up a bit. The second attempt came out perfect!
Overall I am very happy with this project and am please with the finished work!
October 23, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by rickm18 Knockdown Remedy
This is a great product to put the final touch on a knockdown repair. Easy to use and the look is great.
Make sure that when you use this product:
1. Shake it well..at least 90 seconds
2. It is at room temperature
3. Practice on a piece of card board or even a brown paper shopping bag. Keep the can about 12 to 18 inches frome the surface.This way you can fine tune the texture/look before you use it on the wall.
April 14, 2015
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by sugarpuss57 Horrible
Texture wouldn't spray out at all just dribbled down the side of the can. Have used the orange peel before with great results. This time was the worst. Won't buy it again, way to expensive to try it again.
April 14, 2015
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by colin Would!d not recommend this product
This product seems pretty easy to use, but did not work out well for us. If your really want good texture it is best to just rent a pressure texture system.
April 14, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by HandyMan Worked great...once I learned the proper method..
I had used this for several years for small patching with decent results. Recently I needed to do an entire small bathroom (5'x 8') and didn't want to try using a sprayer/hopper. I am very pleased with the results, however, some things I learned in order to get good results:
1) If you think you need 1 can, get 2 cans. If you think you need 2 cans, get 3, etc.
2) Use a foam knockdown blade. Any other blade just doesn't work. Homax sells one for about $3.
3) Dial the setting to the heaviest texture (counter-clockwise)
4) Shake the heck out of the can before using and shake it frequently as you use it.
5) Spray in short 1-2 second bursts, while moving your hand in a circular motion about 10 inches from wall.
6) Don't try to make it perfect the first coat. Once you start knocking it down, you'll see where you need to fill in.
7) Let the stuff sit for at least 2 minutes on the wall before knocking it down. Then use the foam blade and move it nearly parallel to the wall. You shouldn't need ANY pressure on the blade. The weight of the blade is enough to knock down the material. Just guide the blade lightly with your fingers, and knockdown about 6 to 8 inches at a time.
8) Change the direction of the blade after each stroke to randomize the knockdown.
Would I do a large room with this product...NO, but I could. But I am thrilled with the results I got, once I figured out how to make it work. I would use this again.
October 23, 2011
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by infernoamazon takes practice
We got two cans and I believe we wasted most of the first, but it came out fine.
April 8, 2015
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by Wilhelm Air bubbles in finish
Regardless of too much shaking or not enough, this stuff tends to leave tons of air bubbles. After 5 can attempts I paid to have it done. Thought there was a trick. The finish guy said it is hard to work with for that reason and they don't use or recommend it. I wish there was a better option. I don't recall ever having this problem when I used it in the past. I guess they changed their formula or spray.
March 25, 2015