Rated 4.6 out of 5 by 11
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Edwin Great Result; Complex Assembly
I just finished assembling this computer workstation, and I want to write down my impressions while they're still fresh for the benefit of others.
First of all, DON'T BUY THIS unless you have reasonable mechanical skills or have access to someone who does. This is NOT a "mobile workstation" -- it is a "mobile workstation" KIT, which requires about two hours of careful assembly. The assembly process is not excessively difficult, but unless you have decent mechanical skills and take care, I think it's easy to wind up with a Zero-star result.
- I rate this as four-stars, averaging the five star result with the three-star assembly process. While it still has the look of budget furniture, I consider it fairly handsome, certainly far nicer than the fake wood grain over particle-board junk I've seen in places like Target and Walmart. (And yes, the panelling undoubtedly has a particle-board core. At least it doesn't pretend to be something else.) But the assembly process, while well-explained, is involved and has some tricky aspects.
- The carton will fit into an SUV, but weighs 70 lb. The young and strong can carry it inside from the SUV -- I couldn't.
- Everything needed to assemble it is included except a medium Phillips-head screwdriver.
- Unlike a reviewer on another r]site, I discovered no misaligned or damaged parts. While there were styrofoam particles (the carton has a lot of styrofoam padding), I also did not not notice any fiberglass mentioned by a different reviewer.
- A nice touch is the inclusion of some extra screws.
- The most critical and physically challenging part is driving the wood screws holding the casters to the base. I had to exert a fair amount of downward pressure to drive them home without stripping the screw heads, so much that the palm of my hand ached for a day or so. Make sure you drive the screws all the way home, even though it is painful and difficult. I advise against drilling out the holes to make it easier -- the screws are quite short and need the benefit of all the grip they can get.
- The instructions were quite clear, with ample letter-keyed illustrations describing both the parts and assembly. French and Spanish versions of the instruction booklet were provided in addition to an English version.
- The instructions advise having a second person help mounting the glass top -- a reasonable precaution, since if you drop and break it, not only might you need an emergency room visit, but the price of a replacement glass top might come close to what you paid for the entire kit. However, mounting the top is not very difficult, and I did it alone. Just put the containing carton on a flat surface, free the glass from the inner styrofoam and align it so that you can set it onto the frame without awkward contortions.
- The instructions say to completely tighten the Allen bolts only when assembly is complete, so you can wiggle the parts enough to get the holes to align. I decided to fully tighten the bolts at the bottom of the base after mounting the sides, because I didn't want to have to turn over the completed unit to tighten them. This caused no problems.
- The only other instruction I did not follow was to screw the keyboard shelf to the sliders from the bottom after the unit is placed upright. Since driving the screws into the base was so hard, I instead turned the base and side panels upside down and drove the screws exerting downward pressure. If I were to do it again, I'd screw the keyboard panel to the sliders immediately after mounting the sliders.
September 24, 2016
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by RGM Desk
Desk was easy to assemble, took about 2 hours, all parts were included, looked and performed as described, very happy with purchase and Home Depot delivery to store via UPS was good.
September 18, 2016
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Nana Very Nice and Sturdy
Very nice desk at a great price! Good quality. Looks expensive. Love the wheels to move around as needed.
September 13, 2016
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Mavis CHERRY FINISHED CYRUS WORKSTATION
The desk has nice design. Easy to assemble, good size and affordable!
June 14, 2016
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by JEB IT GREW ON ME
The desk seemed quite open at first and all the wires were exposed. Office furniture seems to be reflecting the move to wireless. This item is well made--My only complaint is that the pull-out board for the keyboard is a bit wobbly. I am getting used to it now. I have had several compliaments on the unit.
March 22, 2016
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by xfr7 very nice desk
I had to knock one star off because a couple of the wood pieces were scratched up but other than that the desk is great. We've come to expect cheap quality products, especially when it's made in that C**** country. I was surprised by the good quality for such a reasonably priced desk. Some people have talked about the assembly of this desk being difficult...it really isn't but a second person to help put the glass panel in place couldn't hurt. The rest of the setup was a breeze (use a power drill). Very happy with the desk, just need to find a marker that matches this color to do some touch up on the wood. And it has wheels!
October 27, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by unsardonic Exceptional & Exceptionally Satisfied
I had a very long & demanding list of requirements for the desk I needed and spent a long time on several websites, comparing features & prices & I found myself continuously drawn to the Cyrus BUT... I'm guessing it's too new - I couldn't find any customer reviews anywhere to help guide me.
Items that had reviews, however good, would always fall short, in one way or another, over one of my requirements that the Cyrus WOULD meet, at least "On Paper." So after some hesitation, I decided that it would be worth an experiment to see if it might live up to my expectations; it seemed to be quite affordable too, for what was being offered so, I went ahead to order.
I'd taken the option to ship to my local store for pick-up; it's ship-weight was 85 pounds so, I could either have it shipped to my house or, save that money & use it to subscribe to Zipcar (as I have no wheels) & rent a van from them to pick it up, which is what I did.
It comes in a very average box from China which is very well internally padded, adequate even for the glass-plate top.
Assembly wasn't too difficult (I do have a few cautions though, below) and, the fact that it's on 5 very-well positioned casters, makes it finger-light maneuverable - perfectly balanced. In fact, almost no workstations come with casters... this one is a rare exception.
When I got it done (all in a couple hours - and I was taking my time, multi-tasking), it was So Sexy! Everybody that sees this wants it for themselves! It looks much better "in person" than on website photographs
Cautions are, watch out for those illustrations in the assembly-instructions. I stared at them for quite some time to make sure I was correctly aligning the side and back panels and, after I was Quite Sure I had interpreted those drawings correctly, I put it together to discover, yes... I had assembled them backwards. The main thing to remember is, the screens on those panels need to face outwards (which is aesthetically logical) but the drawings seem to show the screens facing inwards.
They give you all required parts AND tools - nothing to worry about - I could have assembled this when I was 8 years old.
The other slight problem was, after assembly, I discovered that the top (wood) panel had been damaged. This was obviously in the factory: somebody had run some tool or other against the leading edge of the wood & put about a dozen very small nicks into the leading edge. Then it had been touched up with some wood-stain in the nicks. The color-match was identical so it was hard to see when viewed directly but, viewed edge-on against a back light, it was very noticeable, even a tad tacky. Z-line replaced this instantly so, customer service is Outstanding!
July 16, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by DeVianTiCoN Was exactly what I needed.
I wanted a desk to put a 23 inch monitor on with desktop speakers and small studio speakers on the top. Also enough room to sit my MacBook Pro on and my Pc on bottom. This desk was it. Highly recommend.
March 1, 2016