Decorative wall shelves are a practical way to incorporate some style and functionality into your home. Discover the different types of shelves available, as well as some helpful tips.
Types of Wall Shelves
Here are some options to consider when shopping for decorative wall shelves:
• Floating Shelves: These wall shelves have no visible support brackets, giving them a floating appearance. Floating shelving is perfect if you’re trying to save space. Decorative wall shelves that float are ideal for modern decor thanks to their clean, sleek lines. If you have white walls, shop for white floating shelves. These will blend in with your wall, allowing the focus to be on your decorations and trinkets. Black floating shelves are another solid option that work well in various decors.
• Hanging Shelves: Hanging shelves are similar to floating shelves but include decorative hooks and/or storage compartments. These wall shelves are ideal for entryways. You can hang your keys, jacket and other items as you enter your home. Hanging shelves are also great for bathrooms. Consider installing wood shelves in your bathroom to hang towels and store bath products.
• Corner Shelves: Wall corner shelves are a handy solution for showcasing your decorations because corners often go unused. They come in several shapes and styles. Opt for a one-tier corner shelf if you want to keep things simple. For flashier displays, consider multi-tier corner shelves.
• Bookshelves: Whether they’re freestanding or mounted on the wall, bookshelves are always a suitable choice. To ensure your books will fit, confirm the shelf is at least 6 inches deep.
Tips for Wall Shelves
• If you’re planning to use a wall shelf for displaying plates, look for one with built-in plate grooves.
• As a rule of thumb, don’t hang your shelves higher than 78” from the floor. You would most likely need a step ladder to reach your items.
• To make your wall even more eye-catching, hang mirrors, art, clocks and other decorative items alongside your shelves.
If you’re looking for ways to save space and add some flair to your home, decorative wall shelves make an ideal solution. Check out our How to Hang Shelves guide to get started on your project.