How to Replace Hinges
Time Required: 2-4 hours
Its important to take your time when replacing the hinges on cabinet doors because each door needs to be removed during the process. Place a soft cloth on a nearby countertop to use as a work surface. Also, be sure not to drop any tools on your countertop.
- Set a combination square at the 2-inch mark.
- Position the new hinges an equal distance from the top and bottom of the door.
- Use a finish nail or an awl to mark the screw locations.
- Use a cabinet and drawer installation template to ensure that all of the knobs and/or handles are in the exact location on all doors and drawers.
- Attach the cabinet doors to the frames.
- Make sure the doors overlap the openings by an equal amount on all sides.
- Allow a 1/8-inch gap between doors that cover a single opening.