How to Install Kitchen Cabinets
Time Required: Over 1 day
Save money and personalize storage to fit your kitchen’s storage needs and décor. This project guide will help you lay out the entire installation job before you begin putting any cabinets in place.
Tools & Materials
- Use a stud finder to locate the studs in the wall.
- Mark the center of the studs with a pencil.
- Extend the lines up and down the wall with a 4-foot level, making sure you keep the lines plumb.
- Place a straight 2 x 4-inch piece of lumber on the floor against the wall and place a 4-foot level on top of it.
- Shim the low end of the 2 x 4-inch board until you get a level reading.
- Transfer the top of the level line to the wall and extend it around the room.
- The point at which the distance between the line and floor is smallest is the high spot.
- Begin laying out the cabinets from the high spot.
- Mark it with an X.
- Draw a level line 19 ½ inches above the top line of the base cabinets that you drew in the last step.
- Mark all of the cabinets on the wall with a pencil and level to double-check your layout.