Whether you're completing a room renovation or just making some visual updates, adding moulding or appliques can give a bland room a unique and dramatic effect. The Home Depot has everything needed to help you achieve the perfect look.
Types and Shapes of Moulding
Moulding is available in many types, shapes and styles, and it’s a good idea to review them to get the exact look you’re after. wood moulding and MDF moulding, can be similar in shape, but have functional differences. Browse the styles of both the standard profile and decorative/embossed profiles. Learn about the different types of moulding available and what materials and accessories you'll need to finish your project. View our Trim and Moulding Buying Guide video for a more detailed look at all of the different trim applications.
Helpful Moulding Tips
• Create some architectural interest with a functional chair rail in the kitchen or dining room. It's not only decorative, but it adds protection from furniture damage too.
• As with all moulding, when replacing trim, bring a piece of the original into the store so an associate can help you find a suitable match.
• Select finished moulding it’s already painted, so you can simply cut and install - saving time and money. It is also available in different materials based on the installation area and environmental factors.
• When working on outdoor projects a primed or composite exterior moulding is a good durable choice to help withstand the elements.
• Look for trim pieces that are made from Polyvinyl Chloride, or more commonly known as; PVC moulding designed to guard against moisture, termites and rot.
When adding moulding it is common to include other accent pieces such as faux wood beams to recreate a cohesive look. If a older home has original decorative elements like corbels and fireplace mantels the replacement pieces should match the historical charm of the home as closely as possible. A home’s staircase can be used as a main focal point and the perfect place to elevate decor details. Important stair elements such as ornate handrails, newels and stair balusters were built for safety, but also double as fine millwork functional pieces of art.
The many types of moulding available ensures that you can find a style and finish that suits any home or livingspace. Whether and you want to create a decorative wainscoting wall feature that’s installed between a baseboard and a chair rail – or update a carpeted staircase to timeless, hardwood stair treads – we have the materials, accessories and services to help tie your home's architectural decor all together.