Make a unique DIY dog bowl stand for your furry friend
Build a feeding station for your dog that also doubles as storage for dog food. This guide will show you how to turn a few pieces of lumber into a one-of-a-kind treat for man’s best friend.
Tip: This guide will show you how to build a feeding station approximately 9 to 10 inches tall. Small-sized dog breeds such as dachshunds, Havanese, pugs, shih tzus, toy poodles and Westies may find this feeding station too high. The correct height for a dog food bowl for a small dog ranges from 2 to 6 inches depending on the specific breed and individual dog. Notes throughout this guide indicating measurements for a small feeding station will build a feeding station with a height of 4 inches.
• Sand the plywood board
• Measure and mark:
o Front and back walls: 24 ½ x 9 ¼-inch each (2 walls total)
o Top and bottom boards: 24 ½ x 18-inch each (2 boards total)
o 2 side walls: 16 ½ x 9 ¼-inch each
See this cut list for reference or download a PDF with instructions:
See this PDF for the smaller dog feeding station instructions.
• For the smaller feeding station, measure and mark:
o Front and back walls: 22 x 2 ½ x ¾-inch each (2 walls total)
o Top and bottom boards: 22 x 12 x ¾-inch each (2 boards total)
o 2 side walls: 10 ½ x 2 ½ x ¾-inch each
Use a circular saw to make the cuts you marked in the last step.
• Using one bottom board, measure and mark 6 ¾ inches from the left and right side of the board. For the smaller feeding station: measure and mark 5 ¾ inches in.
• Tie a 4-inch string onto a nail with the other end tied to a pencil and put the nail into your mark.
• Keeping the string tight, draw a circle.
• Repeat on other mark.
• You should now have two 8-inch circles. They should be centered on the board and 2 ½ inches apart.
• Using the ½-inch drill bit, pre-drill one hole that touches the inside edge of each circle.
• Cut out both circles with a jig saw, staying close to the edge of the circle drawn.
• Using a brad nailer, attach the front and back boards to the bottom board by nailing up through the bottom board and into the walls.
• Place the two side walls between the front and back boards.
• Attach by nailing up through the bottom board and into the side walls.
Paint or stain the dog bowl stand to match your home’s décor, or personalize it with your dog’s name. Allow to fully dry before continuing.
• Attach the lid using two hinges.
• Attach the lid support left hand hinge to left side of the inside of box.
Note: This step is not necessary for the smaller feeding station, as it is not large enough to store dog food inside the box.
• Drop your dog bowls into the holes on the top board.
• Fit a 28-quart plastic container into the space inside the box and fill with dog food. You can also store a dog food scooper there. Note: This is not necessary for the smaller feeding station.
Tip: To ensure that you don’t spill any food or water when refilling the dog bowls, slide them up and out of the dog station and place on a level surface before opening the dog station lid. Return the food scooper to the storage box and seal the food closed in its plastic container before closing the food station’s lid and sliding the food bowls back in place.