Personalize your home with this one-of-a-kind storage bench built with wooden crates
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS PROJECT
On the 1 x 4-inch x 6-foot board, measure and make a mark every 17 1/4 inches for four equal sections. There will a little board left over that will be cut off.
• On the 1 x 12-inch x 8-foot board, measure and mark one section of the board at 37 ½ inches for the top board, mark one section at 36 inches for the bottom board, and mark a final piece at 9 ½ x 4-inch for the support.
• See this cut diagram for details.
Tip: On the second board, it’s easiest to cut out the top and bottom pieces prior to cutting the support piece. Use a circular saw to make the cuts at the measured marks for the four legs, top board, bottom board and support piece.
• Paint or stain all wood sections and the two large crates.
• Allow to completely dry before assembly.
Pre-drill two holes at the center of the bottom board, one 3 inches from the edge and the next one 3 inches from the first.
• Push the 2-inch wood screws through the pre-drilled holes on the bottom board and align the 9 1/2-inch edge of the support piece flush with the edge of the board and centered over the two screws. Push the support piece down onto the screws to make an indention mark into the support piece. Drill starter holes in the support piece where the indention marks are, then apply wood glue along the edge.
• Align the pre-drilled holes in the bottom board on top of the support piece again, and drill the 2-inch wood screws through the pre-drilled holes in the bottom board and into the support piece aligned below.
Tip: Pre-drilling holes in the crate slats will help keep the wood slats from splitting.
• Turn the two large crates slat side down and attach them side by side in the center using 1 ¼-inch wood screws in each of the four corners.
Align the back of the crates with the edge of the bottom board and use a ¾-inch wood screw in the bottom corners of each crate to attach the crates to the bottom board.
Attach legs to the outside of the bench ends with 1 1/4-inch wood screws in each of the inside crate corners. Ensure legs are flush with the left and right edges of the crate ends.
Place top board on top of crates and attach from inside of the crate using ¾-inch wood screws in each corner.