Paint Roller Covers

Make your next paint project quick and easy with paint rollers

Paint Roller Covers

Paint rollers are a very popular choice for interior and exterior painting projects due to the speed of application and versatility they provide. They create a smoother finish than paint brushes, and if used correctly are less likely to create splatter. This buying guide highlights the different types of paint roller covers, also known as naps, available, as well as their materials and thickness.


Paint roller covers are made from three main types of materials: lamb’s wool, synthetic fabric and foam.

  • Lamb’s wool roller covers are ideal for oil-based paints and painting on any surface texture.
  • Synthetic fabric covers are great for water-based paints and work for any surface textures.
  • Foam covers work well with oil or high-gloss latex paints, and work best for smooth or textured surfaces.

Cover Thickness

Roller covers, are typical available in 3/16 – ¼-inch, 3/8 – ½-inch, ¾ - 1-inch and 1 ¼ - 1 ½-inch thicknesses. Each thickness is designed for different purposes. Standard wall rollers are 7 to 12 inches wide, while specialty rollers are generally 2 to 18 inches wide.

3/16 – ¼-inch

  • Ideal for use on smooth surfaces
  • Metal doors, interior doors, trim and cabinets
  • Perfect for semi-gloss or gloss coatings
  • Works well with both oil- and water-base enamels

3/8 – ½-inch

  • Medium (semi-smooth) surfaces
  • Use on painted or unpainted walls
  • Great for walls and ceilings

¾ - 1-inch

  • Can handle semi-rough surfaces
  • Great for stucco

1 ¼ - 1 ½-inch

  • Works well on extra rough surfaces
  • Use on brick and masonry, cinder blocks or chain link fences
  • Use for painting cinder block and chain link fences