Berber is one of the most popular types of carpeting for all areas of your home – from the basement and bedrooms to the living room and playroom. Here are some of the benefits of berber carpet.
What is Berber Carpet?
There are two major characteristics that define Berber carpeting: construction and color.
Construction: Berber carpet is known for its thick, heavy yarn constructed into alternating size tufts. The term Berber is often associated with loop pile carpets. When constructing this style of carpeting, the yarn is tufted or sewn into the backing. The pile remains uncut, which differs from most residential carpets.
Color: The color pattern is another defining feature of Berber carpet. The carpet typically offers a light or natural color with darker flecks dispersed throughout the pile. Berber carpet colors, combined with the loop pile, give this type of carpet a casual look.
Benefits of Berber Carpet
• Durability: Durability is one of the main reasons why Berber is a popular choice for home carpeting. Its staying power is due to its tight weave and "low loop pile", making Berber carpet a preferred choice for high-traffic areas.
• Stain Resistance: Berber carpet is also stain-resistant. Thanks to its loop pile, spills don’t soak into the fibers. They tend to sit on the surface, allowing you to easily blot the mess.
• Versatility: When it comes to interior design, Berber carpets offer a lot of versatility. They come in a wide variety of appealing designs, patterns and color schemes, so you can easily pick a style that matches or complements your décor.
• Comfort: Comfort is another advantage of Berber carpeting. The looped design provides a cushiony feel underfoot, particularly if you choose wool Berber carpet or nylon Berber carpet.
• Price: Compared to other residential carpets, Berber carpet is relatively inexpensive, especially if it’s made with olefin fiber. Since Berber carpets remain uncut, they’re easier and more economical to manufacture.
Whether you’re looking to replace or simply upgrade your flooring, Berber carpet makes an ideal solution. It’s highly durable, budget-friendly, stain-resistant and adaptable to many types of décor.