How to Build a Storage Ottoman
Time Required: 2-4 hours
Building your own storage ottoman is a relatively easy DIY project that will provide you with a stylish piece of furniture, a place to rest your feet and a place to store items such as shoes or blankets.
Cut the pieces you need out of a 4- x 8-feet piece of plywood using the following dimensions:
- 29-3/4-inches wide for the front and back of the ottoman and lid.
- 22-inches wide for the sides of the ottoman and lid.
- 13-3/4-inches high for all four sides of the ottoman.
- 3-inches high for all four sides of the lid.
- The four 2- x 2-feet inside corner supports are 9-inches high.
You can also have the plywood cut for you at your local Home Depot.
- Fold the edges of the fabric like you’re wrapping a Christmas present.
- Fold the fabric over the edges of the box to take up the slack for a clean look.
- Stretch the fabric over the bottom of the boxes and staple.
- Continue to fold over the excess fabric to keep everything as flat as possible.