How to Heat a Swimming Pool with an Air Conditioner
Time Required: 2-4 hours
Presented by This Old House
Cut and Assemble
- Turn off the power to the pool filter.
- Use a PVC saw to cut out a section of plastic pipe leading from the pool filter.
- Thread an adapter into a T-fitting, then insert a sensor well into the adapter.
- Cut and dry-assemble the PVC pipe and fittings to connect the pool filter to the heat exchanger, and from the heat exchanger to the water pipe leading back to the pool.
Connect the Fittings
- Once you're satisfied with the fit of all the parts, glue the pipe and fittings together with PVC primer and cement.
- Connect the pipe ends to the heat exchanger using threaded unions, not PVC cement.
- Hire a licensed refrigeration technician to connect the air-conditioner refrigerant lines to the refrigerant lines on the heat exchanger.
Recharge the Refrigerant Lines
- Once the lines are connected and pressure-tested, the refrigerant lines must be recharged.
- Hire a licensed electrician to install the master controller to the exterior wall of the house. The controller acts as an interface between the pool pump, heat exchanger, and air conditioner.
- Turn the power back on.