How to Install a Water Filter Under the Sink
Time Required: Under 2 hours
Presented by This Old House
- Start by shutting off the cold water line underneath the kitchen sink. The cold should always be to the right.
- Open the faucet to release any cold water that’s in the line upstream of the shutoff valve.
- Place a small bucket or tray underneath the cold water line underneath the sink to catch any extra water that might fall out. Then, break the water connection using a wrench.
- Connect the adapter that comes with the kit to the hose.
- Push the black tubing that also comes with the kit into the adapter on one end and the filter on the other. The back of the filter has images that indicate which pipe should receive which tube.
- Connect the second adapter to the water shutoff valve. Push the black tubing that came from the filter to the shutoff. Turn the water back on.
- Run the sink for 5- to 10-minute increments, according to the instructions that come with the ki,t to activate the carbon and fully filter the water.