Easily unclog blocked drains in your shower
Tools & Materials
How to Snake A Drain
Remove anything you can see that’s causing the blocked drain.
Safety: Wear rubber gloves when removing clogs.
- Remove the stopper or drain strainer using a screwdriver.
- Use a flashlight to look for hair clogs in the drain opening.
- You can clear most shower drain clogs with a plunger.
- Place the rubber cup of the plunger over the drain opening and run enough water into the shower stall to cover the lip of the cup.
Move the plunger handle up and down rapidly to force out the clog.
- Insert the snake into the drain and guide it toward the bend to clear the shower drain or snag any obstructions.
Try to hook and lift the clog out.
- If the shower drain is still clogged, try a manual auger.
- Squeeze the trigger and turn the handle clockwise to feed the snake.
- Insert the snake into the drain and turn the handle clockwise ten times.
- If necessary, hold the trigger to feed more snake into the drain to repeat the process.
Continue turning until water flows freely, then pull snake out.
Tip: Add a hair catcher insert to prevent future clogs.
Now that you know how to unclog a shower drain, let’s tackle some other projects: