Home accents inject personality into your decor and can tie a whole room together. While furniture serves as the base of your home’s design, home decor accessories big and small complete the look.
Decorative Accents that Pack a Punch
From the kitchen and bedrooms to the living and dining areas, home decor accents are what make your house feel like a home. Here are some ways to use decorative elements in your space:
• Framed art is one of the best ways to add a splash of instant color and style to your space. Choose from wall decor like paintings, photographs or even wood and metal pieces.
• Hang a mirror on your wall to add visual interest while making a space feel larger. They’re a natural fit by the front door for last-minute checks before rushing out the door. They’re also ideal for a big empty wall behind the couch.
• In addition to providing accent lighting, lamps bring a big dose of style. Try a floor lamp with a patterned shade to brighten a dark corner. Or, top your end tables with a matching pair of lamps to add symmetry. For more mood lighting, add some candles to your tabletops.
• Rugs are key for anchoring a room. For high-traffic areas, choose a dark rug that will stand up to wear. Natural fiber rugs blend into their surroundings, while bright, bold patterns can be a focal point in a room.
• Throw blankets and pillows are a simple way to change the look of your furniture from season to season. Choose bright colors and breathable fabrics in the warmer months. Switch to warm, rich tones in the winter.
It’s All in the Details
Sometimes home decor items small enough to sit on a shelf can have the biggest impact. Consider a pair of cast-iron bookends in the kitchen to organize your cookbooks. Place artificial plants on a side table to add life to a space without the effort of live plants. And nothing makes a better home accent than pictures of your family. Use shiny silver picture frames on mantels and shelves to display your favorites.