A pair of bookends provides a stylish and sophisticated way to neaten your shelves and put your books on display. They can also make a statement. With designs that range from playful to refined, bookends speak to your personality. Unique bookends also make great gifts.
Lighthearted Bookend Options
Quirky bookends add a touch of whimsy to a room. They can give a nod to your favorite hobby or add an artsy vibe to a shelf, mantel or tabletop. Here are some lighthearted choices:
- Animal Bookends: Choose from bird, hippo, whale, dog or cat bookends. Silver or brass elephant bookends with a marble base are an elegant gift for a world traveler.
- Sports and Hobbies: Place golf-themed bookends in a den or rec room. Choose a baseball- or basketball-themed version to keep a sports fan's card binders organized. For the cycling enthusiast, a set of bicycle bookends is a unique reminder of a favorite pastime. From music notes to chess pieces, options abound.
- Kid-Friendly: Display kids' favorite board books and chapter books with figures that are see-sawing, sliding or playing tug-of-war. Or, go with a set of bright red hearts for a loving addition to a bookshelf.
Bookends By Color
You can also search by color to find the bookends that suit you and your decor best. Choose from neutrals, metallic bookends, multi-color options, and solids. The right color bookend can elevate the look of your whole bookcase or shelf.
- Black Bookends: A classic choice that goes with most styles, black bookends can be a shiny polished marble. More commonly, they're a matte black finish on cast iron bookends, which come in both simple and complex designs.
- White Bookends: At the other end of the spectrum are white bookends. Often boasting striking marble forms, you can also find charming ceramic or metal ones, too.
- Gray and Silver Bookends: These neutrals highlight your book collection. Silver and gray bookends are usually stone or metal, so you can find the tone with just the right amount of sheen.
- Gold and Bronze Bookends: The opposite shiny neutral of bronze and gold bookends gives you that subtle shine or big sparkle you've been looking for.
- Bookends in Other Colors: Find more vibrant bookends in blue, green, orange, pink, and more.
Choices With Style
- Modern or Contemporary: Modern bookends with clean lines add a stylish vibe to contemporary decor. Choose a set that accents the decor scheme of your room. Sculpture bookends in sleek shapes bring art to your shelves. Some decorative bookends feature carved crystal or stone.
- Industrial: Industrial-look bookends, such as small polished chrome models of the Empire State building or lantern cast-iron bookends, fit well with industrial decor. Use them in a room with a lot of dark woods and metal fixtures.
- Nautical: For a home with a lake or beach theme, choose nautical bookends to complete the look. Popular options include sailboats, anchors, and ship's wheels made of pewter-finish cast iron.
- Cultured: Keep your books organized with decorative bookends made of stacked ceramic books with a shiny gold finish. You could also choose simple letters and symbols: Place a letter “A” on one end of your books and a “Z” on the other. Old-world globe bookends fit perfectly in a traditional library or study, while a style made of a vintage camera is a perfect fit for an art room.
For tall or heavy books, choose metal bookends with weighted bases that are a similar height to the books. A lined bottom will prevent them from scratching surfaces. No matter what your budget and style, you'll surely find bookends that fit into your book nook just right.