Salt and pepper shakers are a staple in every home kitchen, but they don’t deliver the intense flavor that salt and pepper grinders can. Choose a grinder set to season your food with freshly ground coarse salt and peppercorns, while also adding some style to your dining table.
Types of Salt and Pepper Grinders
Manual salt and pepper grinder sets are typically made of walnut or beech wood. Others are made of materials like sleek stainless steel or durable acrylic. For some restaurant-like flair at the dinner table, choose an oversized wooden or copper pepper mill and salt grinder.
Electric salt and pepper grinders make seasoning your dishes effortless. These battery-operated styles are activated with the press of a button, or just by tilting them over your dish. They also deliver a consistent amount of salt and pepper.
Two-in-one models look elegant and take up less space on your table or countertop. These hold the salt and pepper in side-by-side chambers or feature a stackable design.
Tips for Choosing Salt and Pepper Mills
Choose a design that complements your cookware and dining table, and has features that matter most to you.
• Choose one with an adjustable knob or preset so you can change the setting from a coarse grind to a fine grind.
• Look for pepper mills and salt grinders with a comfortable grip and an easy twisting action.
• A ceramic, carbon steel or stainless steel grinding mechanism is more durable than one made of plastic. Higher-quality grinders also produce more consistent results.
• Some models have the milling mechanism on the top, which can help keep your counters and tabletops clean.
• If you use a lot of salt and pepper, look for higher-capacity models that are easy to refill.
Store your salt and pepper grinders in a cool, dry spot to keep their contents fresh.