Outdoor bar stools bring comfortable and stylish seating to your outdoor bar, bistro table or outdoor kitchen counter. With the right patio bar stools or outdoor counter stools, you can set the scene for everything from a quiet evening on the deck to a lively backyard celebration. Here are the styles and materials to consider.
Outdoor Bar Stool Styles
Aluminum outdoor bar stools and wooden bar stools have sturdy frames and come in many different seating styles. Choose stools to match your outdoor bar table, or mix and match for an eclectic look. Draw inspiration from the rest of your home’s decor and transition the look outdoors. Here are some options to fit today’s trends:
• Rustic. Choose wicker stools or a vintage wood design to bring an earthy feel to the deck or patio. For a farmhouse vibe, try a simple teak backless selection.
• Formal. Select high-top chairs with cushions and armrests to mimic the look of a traditional indoor dining space.
• Modern. Pair backless metal bar stools or sleek swivel bar stools with contemporary outdoor furniture.
• Bistro. Complete an outdoor kitchen with bistro bar stools that feature delicate metalwork. Their slim style also works well in small spaces like apartment balconies.
• Nautical – Play up a waterfront view or a beachside deck with nautical bar stools, such as Adirondack-inspired bar chairs.
For a large bar that seats six or more, bar stools with backs may look too crowded. Instead, select simple, backless stools that create a more open and airy feel. Finish the look with outdoor bar stool cushions in coordinating colors.
Sizes and Materials
Measure the height of your table or counter to ensure the stools you choose fit correctly. Outdoor counter-height bar stools are designed to accommodate bars and counters up to 40 inches high. For the most comfortable fit, allow 10 inches between the top of the bar and the seat, and 25 inches from the center of each stool to the next.
For families with children, or in areas that see lots of inclement weather, choose resin, a high-quality plastic. It’s easy-to-clean and will look like new for many seasons. It’s also lightweight, so you can move your stools from the deck to other indoor or outdoor spaces. Metal and wood models are heavy and durable. They’re a good choice for pieces that will stay put all season long.
If you’re looking for inspiration, check these amazing patio design ideas and creative backyard patio makeovers.