DIY Hanging Gutter Planter
Time Required: Under 2 hours
Make your own hanging planter large enough to contain three full rows of your favorite plants with this DIY project.
- If changing the color of the gutters, use an exterior spray paint that will adhere to plastic if the planter will be outside.
- Paint all gutter pieces and allow to fully dry prior to assembly.
- Turn all gutters upside down.
- Measure and mark 3-inches in from the short side and ½-inch in from the long side on all four corners of all three gutter sections.
- Turn all gutters right side up.
- You should now have two marks on each side of all three gutter sections.
- Using a 3/8-inch drill bit, drill holes where the marks were made.
- There should be four holes in the bottom and two holes on both of the top, outer sides of all three gutter sections.
Tip: Depending on the type of plants used, you may need to drill several very small drainage holes on the bottom of the gutter section to allow drainage.
- Tie a knot at one end of the 10-foot rope.
- Thread the unknotted end of the rope through one of the holes in the bottom of the left gutter section and then out the hole in the side.
- Repeat threading up through the bottom hole and out through the side hole on the next two left gutter sections.
- Measure 12-inches of slack and tie a knot between the second and third sections.
- Once all three gutter sections have been threaded, loop the rope and thread it back down the inside hole of the left gutter.
- Once the rope has been threaded down through the last remaining bottom hole of the third gutter section, be sure to make a final knot and cut any excess rope.
- Repeat these steps for the right side of the gutter with the other 10-foot rope.
Tip: Wrapping the end of the rope with tape makes threading easier.
- Secure plant hooks into a beam or support where you intend to hang your garden.
- Loop the two S-hooks on each side of the top ropes and hook the S-hooks to the installed plant hooks.
- Once hanging, loosen and adjust the knots beneath each gutter section until they hang level.