How to Build an Outdoor Privacy Wall
Time Required: Over 1 day
Build this eye-catching privacy wall for your deck to enjoy peace and quiet. It can block unsightly views, reduce outdoor noise and add aesthetic appeal to your backyard. Incorporate new patio furniture and a fire pit to complete the look of your outdoor oasis.
Made from hardy cedar, this privacy wall will stand the test of time. Follow our step-by-step instructions below for the full deck privacy wall project.
Note: Before starting this project, check your local ordinances to see if you need a construction permit for this privacy wall.
- Pour the concrete to the depth specified in the manufacturer's instructions in each hole.
- The instructions on our fast-set concrete bag called for one gallon of water for each hole.
- Place the post brackets on top of the wet concrete and let dry for 24 hours.
- Cut the 2- x 4-inch x 12-foot boards into sixteen 2- x 4-inch x 4-foot pieces.
- Attach the 2- x 4-inch x 4-foot boards at 2-foot increments on your stud wall using the nail gun. This will add stability while also adding to the aesthetic appeal of the design.
- After completing the two-dimensional wall, you can add three-dimensional elements to it, making your privacy wall stand out.
- Make a diagram like the plan shown above.
- The shaded pieces in the plan are additional pieces of cedar cut at various lengths that are attached to the flat wall. This creates eye-catching texture.
- You can light the wall from below for dramatic shadows.