Bolts are a type of fastener. Fasteners are used to secure or fasten materials together. There are many types of bolts and hardware nuts. Most, if not all, bolt types have machine threads. A threaded bolt screws into nuts to hold or fasten materials together. Bolt types include eye bolts, wheel bolts and machine bolts while types of nuts include cap nuts, expansion nuts and u-nuts. This guide will tell you the about the types of nuts and bolts and the different types of bolt heads.
Hardware Nut Types
Common Bolt and Nut Finishes
Bolts and nuts can be made of various materials such as steel, titanium or plastic. The finish or plating on a metal bolt or nut affects its look and durability. Below are some common finishes and benefits:
- Zinc - Most common, low cost, resists corrosion and rust
- Nickel - Very hard finish, higher investment, good corrosion resistance
- Chromium – Bright finish, good rust and corrosion resistance
- Chromate – Adds color, shine, superior rust resistance
- Anodizing - Aluminum, hard oxide surface, excellent corrosion resistance
Understanding the various types of nuts and bolts and their differences in design and use can help you choose the best types for your project. Need help identifying a nail? Find products fast with image search in The Home Depot Mobile App. Snap a picture of an item you like, and we'll show you similar products.