Under 2 hours
Installing faux wood blinds is easy, and you can do it yourself with our simple and painless process. This guide provides step-by-step instructions so you can learn how to install faux wood blinds in a few minutes. All you need is a screwdriver (though a cordless power screwdriver or a drill with a 1/4-inch Hex head bit is recommended for easier installation).
Be sure to read the included instructions for specific product details pertaining to your custom window treatments. Keep in mind that you will have to choose either an inside mount installation, or an outside mount installation before you measure, order and install your window treatments.
This project guide highlights the installation process for an inside mount and outside mount.
Determine Mounting Type and Choose Blinds
If you've made the decision to install faux wood blinds, there are a couple of things to do before getting started. First, be sure to determine the type of mounting type you will need, either inside or outside. Next, choose the type of faux wood blind that best suits your home and style.
- Before starting, carefully unpack your blinds and mounting hardware. To familiarize yourself with the contents of your box, check the printed instructions included with your product.
- Horizontal faux wood blinds are easy to install. A screwdriver is all that is needed to install your cordless blinds, or for an easier installation, you can use a cordless screwdriver, or a drill with a 1/4-inch Hex head drill bit.
Installing Inside Mount Faux Wood Blinds
- Begin your installation by positioning your mounting brackets to the top of the window away from the glass. For easiest installation, we recommend positioning your brackets all the way to the front of your window opening.
- To make it easier to fasten your screws, create starter holes by tapping a screw with a hammer into any two-side bracket holes.
- Fasten two screws to secure the first bracket. Install the right side bracket and any additional support brackets that may be included.
Add Valance Clips
- Next, snap the included valance clips over the front lip of your head rail before mounting the blind. Space your valance clips evenly, avoiding contact with any mechanism inside the top of the blind.
- Slide your head rail into the brackets; they should go in easily. Completely close the covers on your brackets by pressing up on the bottom of your bracket with your thumbs, while lowering the front part of your bracket until the cover snaps into place.
- To complete your installation, snap the valance into your pre-installed clips, top first, and then bottom.
Test New Blinds
- Finish by lowering and testing your new blinds.
- When installing cordless faux wood blinds, simply pull down on the bottom rail of the blind. To raise, push the bottom rail of the blind up gently with your hand.
- While this guide focuses on cordless blinds, learning how to install and how to test corded blinds is easy and similar in process. If using a corded blind, pull the cord towards the center of the blind and slowly raise your hand while holding on to the cord to lower it. To raise your blinds, pull the lift cord away from your blind at any angle. To tilt your slats, your blind will come with either a tilt cord or a wand. Either pull the tilt cord or rotate the wand to open and close your slats to the desired angle.
Installing Outside Mount Faux Wood Blinds
Learning how to install faux wood blinds that are outside mounted isn't much different than installing blinds that are inside mounted. There are just a couple extra steps involved.
Install Drywall Anchors
- Align the side and bottom of your left bracket along the inside of your pencil line and fasten to the wall. You may be able to use the supplied screws, but for secure installation or walls with metal studs, we recommend using drywall anchors and a power drill. Repeat on the right.
- If you receive a center-support bracket, mount it slightly off-center above a section of the head rail where it will not interfere with the operation of the blind cord.
- Now, slide your head rail into the brackets. Close the covers on the brackets by pressing up on the bottom of them with your thumbs, while lowering the front part of your bracket until the cover snaps into place.
- To complete your installation, attach the side returns of your valance using the supplied L-brackets. Snap your valance into the pre-installed clips, top first, and then bottom.
Test New Blinds and Enjoy
Finish installing your faux wood blinds by testing them as noted in step 4.
Tip: Clean faux wood blinds a few times throughout the year to remove dust and grime. If they hang in a kitchen, clean more often to reduce buildup from cooking.
When learning how to install faux wood blinds, remember to take your time and read the instructions included with your blinds. Need supplies fast? Order before noon for convenient scheduled same-day delivery.