SUMMARY: An expensive but very nice dishwasher, possibly the best we have ever owned.
BACKGROUND: A few years ago we upgraded our dishwasher. It was an expensive unit and had a feature that my wife loved. But it didn’t dry dishes very well. The chance to evaluate a new KitchenAid model with enhanced drying features was a welcome opportunity.
FIT AND FINISH: This is a VERY NICE looking dishwasher. All stainless, easy to read display, lots of room inside.
FEATURES: Edited from the Home Depot page, with my comments as appropriate.
• ... LED Interior Lighting illuminates inside for easy loading and unloading.
◦ This is actually a pretty cool thing. We can actually do some things with the dishwasher without turning on the big kitchen lights.
• FREEFLEX Third Rack: The largest third rack available has a deep, angled design that fits 6 in. glasses, mugs and bowls. It features rotating wash jets to clean items in the rack, a drying bar with tabs that help wick moisture off glasses and a removable utensil tray for cooking tools
◦ Three racks seems to be standard on most new dishwashers. The FREEFLEX rack is actually a down-side for us as our previous machine had a top rack just for silverware which was the thing my wife liked the most.
• 44 dBA provides quiet cleaning without compromising performance, so there’s no need to wait to run a wash cycle while entertaining and enjoying meals, even in open concept kitchens
◦ This machine is QUIET. Our previous machine was just as quiet. It’s nice to start washing dishes and be able to watch TV in the living room with the volume at a low level. I literally don’t know it’s running unless I see the lights on.
• Advanced Clean Water Wash System uses microfiltration to continuously remove food particles during the wash and rinse cycles and circulates clean water to dishes in all three racks, This allows dirty cookware and delicate glassware to be washed together in the same load
◦ Not sure about the microfiltration, but the dishes come out clean every time.
• Fan-Enabled ProDry System combines a heating element and fan for optimal drying performance. It circulates hot air around dishes after the wash cycle to give them a thorough dry, To activate, select the ProDry Option or Extended ProDry Option
◦ This single feature was the main reason we selected this unit. True, if you have plastic containers with lips and edges that trap water it won’t dry those areas, but the rest of the plasticware is coming out of the dishwasher without additional wiping and drying required. So nice not to move half the things in the dishwasher into the drying rack in the sink for more drying!
• ProWash Cycle uses sensors to measure soil levels throughout the cycle and adapts wash time and water temperature as needed for tough messes or lighter loads, because no two meals or the dishes that result are exactly the same
◦ A feature that is tough to measure other than the consistently clean dishes.
• PrintShield Finish resists smudges and fingerprints, the specialized coating for stainless steel is easy to clean with just water and a soft cloth, so you can spend more time cooking and less time cleaning up the kitchen
◦ I don’t see fingerprints and we have an 18 month old granddaughter who hangs out in the kitchen touching everything. It has survived her.
• Adjustable Middle Rack adds flexibility to fit tall items like a stand mixer bowl, Lower the rack to place large dishes inside or raise it to make room for platters, pitchers, blender jars and more in the rack below
◦ The ability to adjust the rack is handy. We seem to have found one height that works for us 90% of the time. But we know we can move it if something changes.
• Extended ProDry Option extends the ProDry Cycle time by 15 minutes for loads that need extra drying time
◦ As mentioned before the favorite feature.
• Durable Stainless Steel Interior offers the beauty and benefits of stainless steel inside the dishwasher, it resists streaks, stains and odors, while retaining heat to help improve drying
◦ We stopped buying plastic interiors a few years ago and my wife loves her stainless.
• SatinGlide Max Rails in Third and Middle Racks allow racks to move effortlessly, even when fully loaded
◦ They do seem to open and close better. The wife even mentioned they are easier to use.
• Adjustable Rows in Middle and Lower Racks fold down to make room for dishes in a variety of shapes and sizes like roasting pans, serving bowls, colanders and dutch ovens
◦ It is handy because you have more versatility when loading.
• 6 Stemware Holders in Middle Rack secure wine glasses along the sides of the rack to prevent them from moving around during the wash cycle
◦ Don’t use stemware often, but they are there if we do.
• Express Wash Cycle cleans in less time, so you always have the dishes you need while prepping, cooking and entertaining
◦ Haven’t used it yet, but still a nice feature.
• Culinary Caddy Utensil Basket provides convenient space in the lower rack for tall utensils like whisks and spatulas, overflow silverware and small items that need to be secured for cleaning and drying
◦ Sorry, this is the biggest down-check for this machine for us. Our previous machine, with a silverware rack on the top, was MUCH nicer for us to use. I must caveat that our silverware drawer is right next to the dishwasher so my wife could move silverware from the machine to the drawer with no effort or bending at all. If you have your silverware drawer further away then the removable basket is nice. It has a nice grab handle to lift it out of the machine, you just have to balance the basket when you load it.
• Sani-Rinse Option eliminates 99.999% of food soil bacteria by adding a high-heat final rinse to sanitize dishes
◦ Handy to have when you are working food prep.
• Top Controls are tucked away on top of the dishwasher door for a clean look to match your kitchen style, an indicator light on the front of the door changes colors to subtly display cycle progress
◦ Nice to see and use.
DELIVERY/INSTALLATION: A KitchenAid contractor delivered the machine. Installation was included as part of the package, but I prefer to do my own work. The delivery crew was very polite and professional.
I did have a slight problem during installation. The dishwasher has a proprietary cord connection to the machine, and the plug end is a standard, straight plug. Unfortunately, the outlet for the dishwasher is directly behind the machine. This prevented me from pushing the dishwasher completely into the cabinet recess. A right-angle plug would seem to be a better power cord configuration. On the bright side, we don’t have to pull the door open to see the controls.
OPERATION: Nothing special here. But this thing is QUIET.
SUMMARY: A welcome upgrade over our previous dishwasher.
PROS: Dries dishes very well. QUIET
CONS: Top rack not as useful for us.
Easy to Use, Good Size & Weight, High Quality, Looks Great, Lots of Features, Stylish, quiet!!!, interior led lighting
top rack not as useful