Maximize a living space with the addition of a comfortable and convenient futon. Here’s what to consider when searching for this dual-purpose furniture piece for your home:
Questions to Ask Yourself
• How will the futon be used?
If your futon will be used primarily for sleeping, you’ll want to place more attention on finding a comfortable mattress. If it’s used primarily for lounging, style may be most important.
• Where will the futon bed go?
You’ll need to ensure the futon fits in the room or space you are planning to put it in. Measure first before purchasing one you like. A futon can come in either a bifold or trifold style. Bifolds command the surface area of a couch when folded and a traditional mattress when unfolded. Trifolds open from a single chair position, extending outward to triple the length.
Three Parts to a Futon
There are three parts of a futon: the frame, mattress and cover. Here are details about each:
• Wood frames are diverse, typically available in oak, pine and walnut. They pair effectively with other hardwood surroundings such as a floor or other furniture.
• Metal frames are your most durable option. If you intend for your futon sofa bed to be used often and prioritize durability over style, metal will be the best choice.
• Wood and metal are firm materials. You’ll want to ensure either is fitted with the ideal padding for long-term comfort.
• A futon with a mattress
offers cushions made of foam, cotton and springs. A futon bed can be just as comfortable as the mattress on your bed.
• Foam can be ultra-comfortable, though it can be difficult to fold. If you plan on folding and unfolding your futon with a mattress regularly, another cushion type may be best.
• Cotton is easy to fold and unfold, but it likely won’t match the feel of a foam mattress.
• Futons can accommodate a mattress thickness of at least 6 inches.
• Futon couch covers come pre-made or can be customized to a specific fitting and texture. Leather, faux suede and faux leather futons
are the most popular.
• You can dress and undress your futon couch with ease, as a cover seamlessly zips and unzips. You’ll be able to rotate between a black futon
and a white futon
whenever you’d like.
• Covers are available to fit a full-size futon
as well as twin, queen and king sizes.
With so many unique types of futons, you’ll have no trouble finding the perfect one to blend with your intended surroundings. Choose the frame, mattress and cover and put your futon to good use when family and friends visit.