Best Ceiling Lighting for Your Home
A variety of ceiling light styles are available and they are often part of lighting collections with coordinating wall sconces and lamps.
Tip: Diagram your rooms and create a lighting plan for each, including ambient, task and accent lighting.
When shopping for a chandelier, consider:
- The recommended height for hanging a chandelier above a dining room table is 30” for the lowest part of the chandelier.
- The recommended diameter for a dining room chandelier is ½ the width of the table.
- For other rooms, add the length and width of the room then convert that number into inches for the right size chandelier.
Hang flat against the ceiling.
- Ideal for low ceilings.
- Some house fluorescent bulbs to provide light to a large space, while saving money and energy.
Semi-Flush Mount Lights
Falls between a flush mount fixture and a chandelier in style and hangs approximately 4” to 8” from the ceiling.
Available in styles to complement every room in your home, while providing more light for less money than traditional incandescent bulbs and fixtures.
Hangs from the ceiling like a chandelier but has a single light source.
- Inverted Pendants directs light up and provides ambient light.
- Downlights directs lights down and are typically used for task lighting or illuminating a workspace.
Similar to pendants and are used for kitchen islands. May have two or three light sources shining downward.
Also called can or pot lighting.
- Mounted in the ceiling
- Provides inconspicuous ambient or task lighting
Curvy works of art light fixtures designed to complement any décor. Used as task or accent lighting.
|chandeliers||Ambient light||Dining room Foyer Bedroom Child’s room Master bath|
|flushmount lights||Ambient light||Bedroom Hall Closet Dining room Kitchen Office/Study Playroom Porch|
|semi-flushmount lights||Ambient light||Dining room Foyer Kitchen Bedroom Patio|
|pendant lights||Inverted-ambient light Downlight-task light||Kitchen Dining room Foyer|
|Island - Pendant Lights||Task light||Kitchen|
|Recessed Lighting||Ambient light Task light Accent light||Kitchen Family room Hall Office/Study Playroom|
|Track Lighting||Accent light Task light||Family room Great room Hallway Kitchen|
- Dimmers. Adjusts a light’s brightness level. Saves energy and extends the life of your bulb.
- Ceiling Fans and Light Kits. Used to maintain a comfortable room temperature while providing light.
- Light Bulbs. Different ceiling fixtures require different types of bulbs.