DIY Closet Organizer
Time Required: Over 1 day
A closet organization helps you streamline your morning routine, get rid of clutter and make the most of your space. You can buy a DIY closet system system or you can potentially cut costs by making your own closet organizer. This Home Depot guide will show you how to build your own DIY closet organizer, so you can you use the storage space in your closet more efficiently.
Tools & Materials
- Measure the back and side walls to determine the length of the shelf supports.
- Deduct 1½" from the length of the back wall shelf support measurement to account for the ¾" thickness of each end support.
- Cut 1" x 3" shelf supports to fit the back and side walls of the closet.
- Locate the studs in the walls on all sides.
- Attach the supports for the top shelf to the walls with their top edges 84" above the floor using wood screws driven into the wall studs. This will be the bearer of most of the weight so it’s important to have them driven into the studs.
- Assemble the central shelf unit using wood screws or finishing nails. Space the shelves evenly or according to the height of the items you plan to store.
- Leave the top and bottom of the unit open.
Now that you've built your DIY closet organizer, get inspired with more DIY closet ideas from The Home Depot.