How To Install A Window Air Conditioner
Time Required: Under 2 hours
Before you install a window air conditioner in your home, make sure the window is sound and sturdy enough to support the weight of the unit. If there’s any rot or damage, make the necessary repairs first. Also remember to place your unit near an electrical outlet as it is unsafe to connect it using an extension cord. Read below for instructions on how to install a window air conditioning unit.
Tip: There are many different a/c unit styles available, including quiet window air conditioners, Wi-Fi window air conditioners, window air conditioners with heaters, whole-home systems and portable units. See our guide on how to buy air conditioners, for help choosing the right one for your space.
- Attach mounting brackets for support using wood or sheet-metal screws.
- Slide accordion panels onto both sides of the window A/C unit.
- Place the window air conditioner onto the mounting brackets.
- Lower the window on top of the window air conditioner.
- Extend accordion panels and screw them into place.
- Fill gap between lower sash and window pane with foam weather stripping.
- Plug in the window air conditioner, push the power button and set desired temperature.
- Measure the width of the window and apply foam weather stripping.
- Adjust the window bracket and secure it using L-shaped brackets.
- Lower the window.
- Connect both ends of the vent hose.
- Plug in the portable window air conditioner, push the power button and set to desired temperature.
Tip: Remember to clean the filter and drain condensate water regularly.