A package with fancy Christmas gift wrap can be appreciated just as much as the gift itself. Sometimes the right size box isn’t available for an odd-shaped present, or ornate wrapping just isn’t the look you’re going for. There also are instances when the gift is too pretty to conceal. This guide highlights ideas for how to wrap a gift without a box and offers tips on wrapping oddly shaped presents.
Wrap a Gift with a Paper Bundle Tied with Ribbon
With the right technique, a box isn’t always needed for wrapping a present.
- Unroll a large square of wrapping paper face down on a work surface and then add a few sheets of tissue.
- Position the gift in the center and then lift each corner of the wrapping paper.
- Gather the paper tightly directly above the gift, with the paper edges flaring outward.
- Tie a double knot using twine or wire-edged ribbon to hold the bundle together.
- A bow can finish off the package, if desired.
Wrap a Gift with an Empty Wine Bottle and Cork
A clean, empty wine bottle can be an alternative to a typical gift box for jewelry.
- Use a thumbtack or push pin to secure the clasp of a necklace or bracelet to the underside of a cork.
- Lower the necklace into the bottle and plug cork back into the bottle.
Wrap a Gift with Burlap or Other Fabric
If wine is the gift, position a piece of simple burlap to cradle the bottle and secure it with a ribbon for a rustic presentation.
For other presents, try the art of furoshiki, the Japanese technique of wrapping gifts in fabric.
- Start with a roll of burlap and clippings from evergreen shrubs or Christmas tree trimmings.
- Pine cones, left natural or painted in chalky finish or spray paint, can be tied to the package with floral wire.
Wrap a Gift with Canning Jars
When the contents of a clear glass jar are visually appealing, such as the measured ingredients for baked treats or a homemade potpourri blend, your present doesn’t need to be covered up. Instead, a small ribbon or raffia bow can complete the wrapping without distracting from what’s inside the jar.
Wrap a Gift with by Folding and Wrapping
A box isn’t necessary if you neatly fold a sweater or other piece of clothing. Tightly fold the garment and then wrap as you would with a box. Using craft paper and tying the parcel with twine can give it a rustic or shabby-chic look.
Wrap a Gift with a Gift Bag
Gift bags are a quick and easy solution for wrapping an oddly shaped present without a box. Tufts of tissue paper can conceal the present and also add a bit of flair to the presentation. Use your own embellishments to personalize a plain bag to express your personal style.
Wrap a Gift as a Cylinder
Neatly wrapping cylindrical gifts like jarred candles can be done simply and with attractive results.
- Roll paper around the item and fasten the bottom with tape.
- Gather the excess paper on the top and tie it with string for a clean look.
Wrap a Gift with Paper Tubes
Use empty rolls of toilet paper or paper towels to create a cylindrical container for small presents.
- Fold in opposing edges on the ends of the tube to hold the gift inside.
- Then wrap paper around the tube, trim as needed and tie the ends with ribbon.
Wrap a Gift with a Paint Bucket
A clean paint bucket with lid is an unconventional solution for gift wrapping.
- Fill the 5-gallon plastic variety with car wash supplies or gardening tools.
- Use a smaller, gallon-size metal bucket that can be decorated for oddly shaped gifts without a box.
- A 5-quart metal pail designed for paint can provide the base for a gift basket that has a simple rustic or industrial look.
Wrap a Gift with an Apron
Wrap your gift using another functional present, such as an apron. If the recipient enjoys baking, a new set of bakeware can be wrapped with an apron, or you can use one to tie up long-handled grilling tools for an outdoor cook. For a gardener, bundle tools they can use within an apron that will keep dirt off their clothes.
The Home Depot is your DIY headquarters. We have lots of options for gift wrapping presents, along with the products and tools you need to complete your next project. Get your online orders delivered when and where you need them.