Quickly hang Christmas lights outdoors with these simple tips
What You Need
Prepare to Hang Christmas Lights
1. Choose the type of lights. Make sure the lights are rated for outdoor use. Choose from incandescent bulbs with a warm glow, or energy-efficient LED bulbs that offer a cool glow.
2. Choose the right light clips that fit your application. Adhesive clips are best for columns or railings, and use universal clips for rooflines.
3. Determine how many lights you need by measuring all the straight lines of the house and adding them together. Don’t forget to measure the length to your power source!
How to Hang Outdoor Christmas Lights
1. Test the lights.
2. Plug the first strand into an extension cord to ensure that your lights can reach a power source.
3. Attach lights to clips and start hanging.
4. Slide rooftop lights in place, inserting the clips in the gutter or between the roof and shingles. Remember: universal clips work with both C7 and C9 bulbs.
5. Use adhesive clips for windows, railings or columns.
6. Peel backing and adhere clips at an even distance.
7. Attach lights into the clips.
8. Install a smart plug to control the timing of your lights from an app on your smartphone.