Wallpaper is a popular choice for home decor, with a wide selection of available colors, textures and patterns. This guide will help you sort through all the different types of wallpaper designs and features so you can pick the wallpaper best suited for your needs and personality. The right wallpaper can transform a dull and dreary room into a space that you and your guest will love. With so many styles to choose from, you can create a custom design that matches your lifestyle and design aesthetic.
Wallpaper Size and Application
The most popular types of wallpapers are pre-pasted vinyl and vinyl-coated papers, which offer effortless application, are resistant to tears, can be adjusted before the paper hardens and are easy to clean and care for.
Wallpaper can be made from a variety of materials, including paper, fabric and substances such as glass, sand and even natural fibers like grass or bamboo.
Foil accents and embossed patterns add extra dimension and texture.
- Wallpaper comes in a wide range of lengths and widths. How much you need will depend on the square footage of the space you are wallpapering.
- Borders are much narrower and vary in size depending on the design. Wallpaper borders can be used to complement a wallpapering project or on their own to add a decorative accent to a painted room.
- Wallpaper is usually priced as a single roll, but comes packaged as a double roll, or even triple roll, to provide ample coverage.
- Before shopping, measure the surface area of the space you intend to cover.
- Wallpaper can help you create themed rooms, add subtle accents, cover up imperfections and allow you to produce patterns and effects that are impossible to achieve with paint. Wallpaper is a shortcut to amazing design, and you don't have to be an expert to put it up in your home.
- Pre-pasted wallpaper has an adhesive already applied for easy hanging.
- Dry back wallpaper requires the use of a separate paste.
- Strippable and peelable wallpaper can be removed easily for frequent redecorating.
Be sure to use colors and patterns that complement the shape, size and decor of a room. Also remember that larger patterns can require the purchase of additional rolls to match up properly.
There are a number of ways to make sure you get the best wallpaper for your home. One key thing to remember when buying is to make sure each roll is from the same dye lot. This number is also called the batch or run number. It ensures that rolls bearing the same number were made from the same batch for a correct color match every time. Mixing wallpaper from other lot numbers may result in visible irregularities as the ink colors may vary slightly.
There are so many types of wallpaper styles to choose from. The Home Depot offers grass cloth wallpaper if you're looking for a more organic feel and want to bring nature indoors. There is also paper wallpaper and vinyl wallpaper if you want to hide obvious irregularities and cracks on the surface of walls. To give your room more dimension and give the illusion of raised paneling, panel wallpaper is your answer. With its gorgeous natural colors and intricate patterns, botanical wallpaper stands out from the lot. This wallpaper is perfect for those nature lovers who enjoy a lively print.
- Makes large rooms seem smaller
- Offers a cool, relaxed feel
- Hides bumps, nicks and other imperfections
- Can be used to highlight smaller areas
- Great for accent walls
- Immediately adds depth and interest
- Creates a cozy, intimate environment
- Adds visual appeal to complement your decor
- Makes larger rooms feel less intimidating
- Makes rooms look bigger
- Accents hanging art, sculptures and more
- Creates a sense of warmth and calm
- Creates a sense of spaciousness
- Calls attention to overall color schemes
- Works well in smaller rooms
- Vertical stripes make walls and ceilings look higher
- Horizontal stripes elongate narrow rooms
- Good for areas with low ceilings or in tight spaces
Pick your wallpaper based on your needs. If you have young children likely to use the wall as their easel, get scrubbable wallpaper as opposed to fabric wallpaper. Use faux surfaces on your wallpaper to pull a certain look in any room.
Scrubbable wallpaper withstands more thorough scrubbing with a brush and mild detergent to get stains out. There are so many types of wallpaper to choose from to suit various needs.
Certain papers with acrylic coatings are washable wallpaper. This means that you can use a sponge to give them a light cleaning as needed. This type of wallpaper is especially helpful when you have little ones who may color and draw on your walls. With a little soap and water, your wallpaper will maintain its original appearance.
When you want to give your room a more tactile dimension, choose wallpaper with interesting texture and embossed elements. Some wallpapers can mimic materials such as leather or tin ceilings for more interesting and eclectic effects.
Wallpaper is designed to work with complementary colors for a complete look. Use the manufacturer's suggested selections or mix and match your own to create a custom style.
Replicate the look of a log cabin in your living room or install an intergalactic landscape in your bedroom with specialized wallpaper designed to create the effect of faux surfaces and landscapes. These wallpapers are especially useful in creating specialty or themed rooms, such as a child's bedroom or a game room.
Finding the best type of wallpaper for your home is simple with The Home Depot. We take the guess work out of choosing the wallpaper that is best for your space. Choose from over one million products and find the info you need most. Check out our pre-pasted wallpaper, non-pasted wallpaper or even our peel and stick wallpaper with The Home Depot Mobile App.