How To Install a Shower Pan
Time Required: Over 1 day
To ensure your shower is water-tight, whether it’s a new installation or you’re looking to upgrade your current shower, consider a new shower pan. This guide shows you how to install one, including floor prep and drain assembly.
- Test-fit the drain flange, or outer lip, to ensure it fits flush with the shower base.
- If necessary, add extension to the drain pipe.
- Apply primer and cement to the flange and drain pipe, and attach them to the drain in the floor.
- Allow cement to dry according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Caulk the drain flange with silicone.
- Line up holes in the drain body with the screw holes in the flange body.
- Press the drain body firmly into place and attach the drain screen with the screws that came with the assembly.
- Check the rim of the base to be sure it is level.
- Mark the center of each stud on the rim.
- Pre-drill a hole through the rim at each mark.
- Nail the pan to the wall stud with rustproof galvanized nails and shim as necessary to keep the shower base square.
- Test the pan and drain connection for leaks and get an inspection if required.
- Install the walls for your shower (see Installing Shower Walls Direct-to-Stud or Installing Shower Walls Glue-Up